1922 Buick

ROD W

This is advertised as a 1922,  Engine number 725062, on the top of the chassis/frame near the fuel tank makes it a 21. They say it is the top of the line model as it has wire wheels.  My 70 Years of Buick is boxed for moving so am unsure of wether 1921 came in different length wheel bases.  I know 22 and 23 did.  The gear lever and hand brake are on the right but don,t know what year they changed to centre gears in Australia.  I wouldn,t mind getting a spare engine for my 1920,s.  Does anybody know if there are any differences between  20 and 21  engines.  

post-106523-0-82703600-1453797583_thumb.

post-106523-0-74473600-1453797611_thumb.

post-106523-0-27957700-1453798813_thumb.

Edited by ROD W (see edit history)

Sorry,  725062 is the frame number not the engine number. Yes JB all the parts go with it. There seem to be parts from different cars,  the cowl is later and the front axle has internal brakes.  A couple of different engine blocks and sumps.  There is a later model master  frame outside in one of the pics.  I haven,t seen lights like these before.  Unfortunately it is 800 miles away so I am unable to go and see it. 

post-106523-0-62158700-1453842100_thumb.

Edited by ROD W (see edit history)

The 1923 six cylinder is the one that's a bit of a 'bastard' as they pulled ahead the larger 1924 crank and rods into the 1923 six.  Or at least that's what we think.

I'm no expert, but I'm fairly certain 1921 and 1922 are nearly identical.  Of course the starter generators are specific year to year, a ploy I'm certain by Delco to sell more parts.

I had a chance to purchase a rolling 1923 chassis, less the frame, and did so.  I was the only person interested and the seller was glad to let me have it at a good price. 

My thought is, how many more of these or how long before you see another stash of parts like this?  And just how many people do you think he has knocking down his door?

I was able to buy my 1923 stash for 'free' since it included many parts I already had and I sold them off to cover my costs and kept what I needed.

I see a cowl with a sharp belt line edge and a fuel pump on the firewall so that means at least 1924.  I'm thinking several years are lumped together here.

Thanks everyone for your input. I contacted the seller and his measurement for the wheelbase was 119"  so it is more likely to be the 118" wheelbase than the 124" wheelbase. so the chassis/frame should be the same as the 1920. You are right Brian,  these parts don,t come up for sale very often,  especially in Australia,  I,m very tempted

The 21 and 22 are very close to being the same. The 21 early had a different carb with a single heat tube this engine has 2.  Lots of differences with a 20 including water pump and starter generator that are not interchangeable.

I have 2 fairly complete 22 engines that go with my 21 roadster if it sells.

Tom,  Thanks for that information.   After reading your note about the differences in the water pumps,  I went and looked at mine.  20 has the water pump support behind the pump whereas 21/22 has the support in front of the pump. Its very possible  there are internal differences also or the engine block not matching up with the lower crankcase studs. etc, etc.  When I had my 25 standard I bought a 26 for spare parts but found very little was interchangeable.   Sorry to hear your selling the 21 roadster it,s a beautiful  car.

yes you are correct on the waterpump mounting bracket. I drove to Minnesota thinking I was buying both a 21 and a 22 parts car but the 21 turned out to be a 20...I sold it to Ira Haire in PA as he had a need for a pinion gear so it turned out well for all.  Only selling the roadster if there is a serious buyer otherwise we will continue to enjoy it for another year or so.