What is this?? Mid 30's Dodge item

KLF

Guest DodgeKCL

Not to put too fine an edge on it but they were called "Winter Fronts". At least here in Canada. I have an original 1933 Plymouth one. It's missing the coiled mounting springs but is otherwise in original condition. Black oil cloth on the front and khaki cloth on the rear with a zipper down the front. I believe you used the zipper as a 'regulator' to let in more air as the ambient temperature went up. The resulting flap could be snapped to the side out of the way. Mine does not have the Plymouth symbol on it like your Dodge but has '1933 PLYMOUTH' and a model number stamped on the rear. Possibly aftermarket while your appears NOS Chryco.

Is this considered a winter front and can anyone tell me the material it was made with ? Chain link, Stainless, Brass, rubber, painted metal ?

Cannot see enough detail to tell what the one on the truck is made of.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

It does seem like it may be made of wire.....like a stone guard...maybe being a dump truck, it's actually a stone guard and the person writing the text got the terminology wrong?

I agree with the stone guard idea. if it is made up of wire or chain, it cannot be a winter front. A winter front closes off some of the cold air and a wire or chain front will not do that.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Guest Old Dodge

Old Dodge that's a very good picture. That grille guard would be easy to duplicate. I've made some of the Hurst bumper guards for VW buses. This would be much easier.

Let me know when you get them done and I'll give you my address to send the free sample to.

I'll look later for any more pics showing the grill guard. It looks like the DB is mounted on a square shape and the braces are riveted to it.

Guest Old Dodge

Yeah, it was a joke. I figured that anybody who makes that is going to want $300 or more.

I looked and didn't find anymore pictures with the grill guard.

I'm not a "truck guy" (working on a '31 Chrysler CD8 Roadster presently), but I'm puzzled by this "grill guard" idea. Obviously not intended to protect rad core from flying rocks etc, so just what does it protect against. The headlights and fenders etc are exposed to potential damage from front end collision, and the hefty bumper protects lower 20" of vehicle. Unless the angled braces are bolted solidly to frame, the over sized guard would collapse toward rad shell if any significant force was applied. My guess is that it was a very cheap item to manufacture at the time and so owners would add one to prevent damage to rad should they run into someone else's tailgate, or an overhanging loading ramp etc. Maybe for early "off roading"? As I said, I'm not a truck guy! 

Understandable Gunsmoke...

I love trucks but I am definitely not an expert in the early stuff.  I still have no idea what the "true" purpose was and have not found any literature to validate any kind of descriptive purpose in literature....

I do think the gents that have input already have labeled it correctly but I'm still unsure if it was meant mainly for cosmetic reasons. As you have stated, it seems very unlikely it would protect much if anything (unless there was some sort of screen mesh incorporated). Very curious and would like to know more about these as well...

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

i think they were a decorative item, but did protect the grille. I've seen them in junk yards on trucks even from the'50's. Made from, as I said, 3/8 X 3 or so steel they would do a fairly good job of protecting the radiator. This one seems to be bolted to the frame and then triangulated to the base of the lights. Look at the round tube grille guards on police cars and off road trucks, same thing. Let's see if the attachment works. if so this is a Hurst bumper for a VW bus like I've made. This is  not mine. The same Hurst Co. from Pa. that made the shifters for muscle cars

imgres.htm

Edited by nearchoclatetown (see edit history)

Sorry, I might need John to intervene here with the attachment. If you google "Hurst bumper VW bus" you will see lots of pictures of them. Seriously it would not be hard to make a bumper like is in the DB pics. If you have a good sheet metal shop with a heavy brake they can bend the pieces and roll the top piece. There's maybe $30 worth of steel there. Someone would have to do the math where the bends are. My guy would spit the math out on his Cad-Cam. I think this would be a cool addition to a truck. The DB could be cut with a water jet or laser.  If I had a big truck I would make some.

Sorry, I might need John to intervene here with the attachment. If you google "Hurst bumper VW bus" you will see lots of pictures of them. Seriously it would not be hard to make a bumper like is in the DB pics. If you have a good sheet metal shop with a heavy brake they can bend the pieces and roll the top piece. There's maybe $30 worth of steel there. Someone would have to do the math where the bends are. My guy would spit the math out on his Cad-Cam. I think this would be a cool addition to a truck. The DB could be cut with a water jet or laser.  If I had a big truck I would make some.

Like this??

post-81542-0-35678400-1454176859_thumb.j

post-81542-0-99259200-1454176869_thumb.j