Does anyone else daily drive their TC?

Guest EmmettTC

Guest EmmettTC

I'm curious if anyone else drives these cars daily? I really wish I didn't have to subject a beautiful classic to road salt and harsh Wisconsin winters but it is my only vehicle and I don't have space for 2 even if I were to buy a more appropriate daily driver. 

I mainly drive mine on weekends -- especially when it is nice.  I live in Florida, though.  Usually on (2) Saturdays each month, I'll take it to local car shows.  I have 40K miles on it and don't want to put additional wear on some hard to find parts.  On the flip side, the more I drive it, the better it drives.

I'm curious if anyone else drives these cars daily? I really wish I didn't have to subject a beautiful classic to road salt and harsh Wisconsin winters but it is my only vehicle and I don't have space for 2 even if I were to buy a more appropriate daily driver. 

You do what you can afford to do, Salt isn't good for a car and when you do get a winter car it may cost you some to undo what the salt has done. Keep it waxed, keep it washed and pay that extra buck for a car wash with the bottom blast.  

This is a picture of the oldest TC known to exist, it's located in a Minneapolis suburb and it has been the daily driver of it's present owner since the day he bought it.   post-92395-143142643877_thumb.jpg

My T/C is a daily driver rain or shine. Has over 200 thousand miles on it, wash it or rinse it off every week, wax it four times a year. I live on the beach in Southern Ca. so the only salt I get is from the ocean. So far no rust. Just use preventive maintenance and all is good. I bought the car to drive not to look pretty sitting in the garage. Drive it like you stole it.

Guest EmmettTC

You do what you can afford to do, Salt isn't good for a car and when you do get a winter car it may cost you some to undo what the salt has done. Keep it waxed, keep it washed and pay that extra buck for a car wash with the bottom blast.  

This is a picture of the oldest TC known to exist, it's located in a Minneapolis suburb and it has been the daily driver of it's present owner since the day he bought it.  

Yea the salt is pretty terrible. Good news about that is I've been wanting new paint for a while so  I decided to wait until May / June then I'm getting the whole car painted, probably some undercoat too. As of right now, the road salt is only helping my prep work haha

Guest wheelsport

I bought mine as a daily driver a little over a year ago. The car had sat for about five years and was inhabited by a family of

mice. It was listed as a 52K car but of course the odo didn't work. It has some small dings here and there and was totaled by

the previous owner's insurance company because of a broken head light and a wrinkle on the front bumper chrome trim. Cars were

made to drive and this one is great daily driver that raises the eye brows of those in the know now and then.

Guest EmmettTC

I bought mine as a daily driver a little over a year ago. The car had sat for about five years and was inhabited by a family of

mice. It was listed as a 52K car but of course the odo didn't work. It has some small dings here and there and was totaled by

the previous owner's insurance company because of a broken head light and a wrinkle on the front bumper chrome trim. Cars were

made to drive and this one is great daily driver that raises the eye brows of those in the know now and then.

Totaled because of that.. Wow insurance these days haha

Much like me, my TC is mostly retired. Here in Mohave County, there is really no-place to go except Las Vegas NV occasionally to our local TC America group get-together.

So my TC waits for the next TC America National to get some road time. Though here in 2016 with low fuel prices, it may be a good time to take another cross-country trip.

My red TC is my favorite 'driver', it's  just so comfortable and tight handling with nothing more than a high flowing exhaust, 14PSI boost and some upgraded rear springs BUUUT it has a bad valve guide or two (the exhaust valves go 'out of round' on the 16V heads, all we have checked have this issue) so the intermittent puffs of oil smoke are annoying to say the least so it's been 'resting' a year or so.  My yellow TC is very fast with all the modifications (it *was* the worlds fastest TC but there is a black one  in Wisconsin that I think would put me to shame now :o )but it has an unkind clutch( the transmission has been swapped to a 523 with a positraction differential) that takes some away from the driving pleasure so until I drop the trans and put a more manageable clutch in, it's on garage duty, not daily driver.  Leaves me with the white TC, last summer I drove it 4-5 times per week whenever I wasn't hauling work supplies or kids.  This summer it's getting larger injectors, larger intercooler and a higher flowing turbo. If the clutch holds up to that I will drive it every day. of course we don't have road salt or much rain B)  

Once I get the soft top's rear window taken care of on mine I will be daily driving it...at least until my '90 Daytona gets here, then I'll drive the TC when that car is broken (I suspect it will be quite often as I intend to muck around with that car quite a bit).

• 2 months later...

Got the Hagerty insurance, so can only go 3500 miles a year.  That is ok with me so I only drive it Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  Right now I can't get the soft top to stay locked down in the back, so will drive even less now.

Guest GregTC
19 hours ago, EmmettTC said:

Milwaukee!

ok not that far maybe once winter decides to be done we can meet in Madison some were that's about midway between us

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 7:48 PM, HIBrown said:

Got the Hagerty insurance, so can only go 3500 miles a year.  That is ok with me so I only drive it Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  Right now I can't get the soft top to stay locked down in the back, so will drive even less now.

I noticed that all roads into Tomah from the freeway have been temporarily relocated, so I'll make the offer to look at your top latch on my way back home if our schedules work, but you would have to find me out by the freeway and bring a volt meter.