Hello - Looking for 58 Buick folks

Guest Tripod

Hello all - I inherented my grandfather's 58 Buick Special, and i must say it's a great car! 64k miles on her. I'm learning everyday how to maintain the big car, and it does have few problems due to setting for years.

I'll have more questions as time goes by, like suspension issue, and hard starting issues, but for right now it's snowy hear, and do not want to take her out untill the weather is better. But what do thing of it, please check out the pictures - thanks all

post-155899-0-37733100-1452668854_thumb.

post-155899-0-59696700-1452668869_thumb.

post-155899-0-66054600-1452668885_thumb.

post-155899-0-19569500-1452668898_thumb.

post-155899-0-86703700-1452668931_thumb.

Looks like a very good car.  Good to have and keep an old family car

More Buick people here http://forums.aaca.org/forum/2-buick-clubs/

It is worth joining the Buick Club of America

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

Tripod,

Love your car!

Another thing to consider regarding hard starting would be a worn accelerator pump in the carb.

Once she is running do you get any hestiation when you accelerate?

Also, when the car has sat for a day or two, take off the air cleaner, pump the gas manually and see if there is gas squirting. You have not said exactly what hard starting means. Does it require long cranking before actually firing up? The carb might need new gaskets or a complete rebuild. If mine sits for more than a month it needs to crank for awhile to get gas into the carb so I will sometimes pour a bit of gas down the carb first before hitting the starter.

If you have a clear gas filter, check that it fills as the car is running. Could need a fuel pump rebuild....

Check the gap and condition of the plugs.

These are just some things to check especially if the car has sat for a long time without starting up.

Otherwise, the Buick nailhead is a very dependable engine. Welcome to the 58 Buick ownership club!

Keep us posted.

Thanks for posting your car

My 58 is single color and I want to make it 2 tone but it also has the thin rear window trim ect that makes doing the roof a seperate color from the hood ect difficult and I was trying to visualize the car painted like yours

I think it looks good

I dont think its factory like that (doesnt bother me) and it looks like the car has had some "attention" during its life

Great car and well done, when it was done

Mick

Tripod,

Love your car!

Another thing to consider regarding hard starting would be a worn accelerator pump in the carb.

Once she is running do you get any hestiation when you accelerate?

Also, when the car has sat for a day or two, take off the air cleaner, pump the gas manually and see if there is gas squirting. You have not said exactly what hard starting means. Does it require long cranking before actually firing up? The carb might need new gaskets or a complete rebuild. If mine sits for more than a month it needs to crank for awhile to get gas into the carb so I will sometimes pour a bit of gas down the carb first before hitting the starter.

If you have a clear gas filter, check that it fills as the car is running. Could need a fuel pump rebuild....

Check the gap and condition of the plugs.

These are just some things to check especially if the car has sat for a long time without starting up.

Otherwise, the Buick nailhead is a very dependable engine. Welcome to the 58 Buick ownership club!

Keep us posted.

I think your right, i have been working on it, new spark plugs, and upgraded the points to electric ignition new fuel pump. Looking into rebuilding the carb (as soon as I figure out and fined the right rebuild kit), I'm pretty sure this methane fuel an't helping on this old engine with the current valve guides.  Thanks again for the advise you guys are awesome!

I just looked at your photos ,

NICE CAR !!!

I like the headlights, what are those bulbs?

Thanks! My grand father told me it's a old hot rodder trick they did in the 60's in California (Thanks were this Buick is from) - believe it or not it's a Yellow permeate marker on the headlights :) 

Thanks for posting your car

My 58 is single color and I want to make it 2 tone but it also has the thin rear window trim ect that makes doing the roof a seperate color from the hood ect difficult and I was trying to visualize the car painted like yours

I think it looks good

I dont think its factory like that (doesnt bother me) and it looks like the car has had some "attention" during its life

Great car and well done, when it was done

Mick

Yes, my Grand Father added the 2-ton to the car it was all white when he bought it in 58, I think he had it done sometime in the 70's - I think he called it skin color...lol I think he was going for the color of coffee in his cup.  :)

Beautiful '58!!!  Welcome to the forum. If you scroll on down to the Buick forum, you will probably reach more Buick folks.

Ben

Thanks Ben, just found it.