An introduction, and my "new" 1970 Riviera!

V8TV

Hello!

It's been a while, but I'm a Riv owner again, and I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself and share a couple snaps of my '70 Riv I picked up a couple months ago. 

Time and available resources will dictate the plan, but it's a legit 26k mile ride and I am the 2nd owner.  It's not a very popular car, but some might dig it. 

For me, it's part nostalgia, and part opportunity. This is one of those cars that has been a long-time itch that I can finally scratch. 

Like many of our cars, there's a long story behind this one, going back to the mid 1980s.    You can read the whole thing at the link… the tale of how I got into Buicks, then into Rivs, then owning the "one that got away", and the 20 year odyssey leading to this car. 

1970_Buick_Riviera_KO_11.14.15_035a.jpg

1970_Buick_Riviera_KO_11.14.15_036a.jpg

I've got some plans for the car, but for now, it's a matter of getting to know it and take care of some little things that it needs and then enjoying it.   

Thanks, and we'll see you on the boards!

No vinyl top, no side spears, 'mini' skirts.  Nice car.

Ed

Thanks Ed.    I had a similar car back in the early '90s, with no vinyl, spears, & shorties, Flame Red with a white gut, buckets, shorty console.. it was a sweet ride.    It took a long time to find another that was even close. 

My old sled:

1970_Riv_KO_07.20.92_001.jpg

That thing is sweet.  As others have said, I love the no-vinyl and short skirts.  How about a couple more pictures of the engine and interior?

. . . nice score Kevin, and a great example of the 'red headed' step child of Rivieras !!

Thanks for the kind words!

It's a pretty nice old car... it has some hail damage on the top surfaces, and the interior is a little dirty, but it is an all original car, including paint, interior... it even had date coded plug wires and the original cap and rotor when I got it!     It's far from perfect, but a great survivor. 

1970_Buick_Riviera_KO_11.14.15_021a.jpg

1970_Buick_Riviera_KO_11.14.15_040.jpg

1970_Buick_Riviera_KO_11.14.15_046.jpg

1970_Buick_Riviera_KO_11.14.15_047.jpg

1970_Buick_Riviera_KO_11.14.15_048.jpg

1970_Buick_Riviera_KO_11.14.15_050.jpg

1970_Buick_Riviera_KO_11.14.15_051.jpg

1970_Buick_Riviera_KO_11.14.15_054.jpg

1970_Buick_Riviera_KO_11.14.15_078.jpg

1970_Buick_Riviera_KO_11.14.15_088a.jpg

Kevin,

Drive it like you stole it!!!!!  Looks like a good base for building on or just drive it like it is.

On a personal note, a number of years ago your video on installation of the Scarebird disk brake swap on the Buick ragtop was what prompted me to go that way on a swap to disc brakes for my '64 Riviera.  Nicely done.

For those of you contemplating such a swap, here's the video. 

http://v8tvshow.com/V8TV_2/index.php/tech/chassis-suspension-brakes/635-low-buck-scarebird-disc-brake-conversion-on-a-1962-buick-electra

Ed

PS  - I'm sure that there are a lot of ROA members who would love to see that '70 Riviera at our next ROA meet in Williamsburg, VA this coming summer.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Thanks Ed, glad that worked out for you!     

This '70 will be getting discs up front eventually, but I am still plotting the method for that madness.    Again, '70 is a weird year as they went to the single-puck caliper in '70 for the factory disc cars over the multi-piston of the '69, but it might just be easier to get a Scarebird rig and do that to this car.  

• Like 1

Thanks Ed, glad that worked out for you!     

This '70 will be getting discs up front eventually, but I am still plotting the method for that madness.    Again, '70 is a weird year as they went to the single-puck caliper in '70 for the factory disc cars over the multi-piston of the '69, but it might just be easier to get a Scarebird rig and do that to this car.

70 Rivs are not a weird year, they are just misunderstood! J/K Those factory drums might just surprise you as to how well they can operate. Good luck, I look forward to seeing the progress. I have all winter to plan the next phase for mine. More torque comes to mind for starters!

Brad

70 Rivs are not a weird year, they are just misunderstood! J/K Those factory drums might just surprise you as to how well they can operate. Good luck, I look forward to seeing the progress. I have all winter to plan the next phase for mine. More torque comes to mind for starters!

Brad

True, "misunderstood" is a better term.    They are one of my favorites.    I've owned 2 '70s now, a '69, and a couple '68s over the years.    Some were drum, some disc cars.    I don't mind the first few stops on  the drums, but I'm a hydro-boosted disc brake evangelist.      

Do you have a thread on yours?

Great looking car! Nice find, doesn't look like it needs much other then some cosmetic stuff under the hood.

'Tis true, it needs very little.    The tires are Goodyear Eagle STs dated 1988, and what's left of the exhaust is original.    Pretty wild.     Thanks for the kind words!

True, "misunderstood" is a better term.    They are one of my favorites.    I've owned 2 '70s now, a '69, and a couple '68s over the years.    Some were drum, some disc cars.    I don't mind the first few stops on  the drums, but I'm a hydro-boosted disc brake evangelist.      

Do you have a thread on yours?

No thread on mine as of yet. Got it in late July 2013 out of Peru, Il from the original owner's grandson. Very nice original car. I will be spending a lot more time on it this 2016 spring and summer and I will most likely start a dedicated thread at that point.

Nice Car Kevin!  It looks real solid and they are getting harder and harder to find.  I like the short skirts on these as well.  I'm sure I don't have to tell you that the 1970 was the most powerful year for any Riviera so put your foot into it once in a while!  Good luck with your nice car!

No thread on mine as of yet. Got it in late July 2013 out of Peru, Il from the original owner's grandson. Very nice original car. I will be spending a lot more time on it this 2016 spring and summer and I will most likely start a dedicated thread at that point.

Sounds good, we'll look for it!

Nice Car Kevin!  It looks real solid and they are getting harder and harder to find.  I like the short skirts on these as well.  I'm sure I don't have to tell you that the 1970 was the most powerful year for any Riviera so put your foot into it once in a while!  Good luck with your nice car!

Thanks Pat!    It's funny to hear the old Goodyear ST spin... it kinda "gives up" at trying to stick against the 455 and just goes "whizzzzzz!"

I don't mind the first few stops on  the drums, but I'm a hydro-boosted disc brake evangelist.

I've had hydro-boost on a couple of other cars, a couple of '83 Riviera XX Twentieth anniversary cars. How do you plan to go about converting your booster from vacuum to hydro-boost. And, what do you consider the advantages?

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Ed, 

The benefits are numerous... vacuum boosters simply cannot make the clamp force assist that a hydraulic system can do.    Also, hydraulic systems do not require engine vacuum, which matters with long-duration cams.    Third, hydraulic units are more compact.    They are a little more complex, but not terribly so.   

In order to convey the info without typing... I invite you to check out a video install I did on my other car,  a '62 Ford Galaxie.     This answers all the questions regarding theory, operation, installation, and performance.   

Currently, there is no "kit" for the Rivs, but there are adaptable systems no doubt that we can make work.    We do a lot of hydroboost systems in our shop. 

Video:

http://v8tvshow.com/V8TV_2/index.php/tech/chassis-suspension-brakes/637-hydroboost-brake-booster-a-cure-for-poor-muscle-and-classic-car-brakes

Thanks!

'Tis true, it needs very little.    The tires are Goodyear Eagle STs dated 1988, and what's left of the exhaust is original.    Pretty wild.     Thanks for the kind words!

Awesome find. I think that when you change those tires, some white or red walls would really wake it up. 

Awesome find. I think that when you change those tires, some white or red walls would really wake it up. 

Thanks!    I have some Buick Road Wheels I plan to run, kinda torn between the redlines or vintage raised white letter Goodyear Polyglas tires.    I don't want bias ply, although I love the look.   The radial repops are OK looking.    I have many thoughts on the tires.   

Here's a vid on the custom tires we had done for another car... we dig 'em.    What do you think?