1937 Buick 248 straight 8 engine rebuild

gregleck

Something is knocking.  It ain't opportunity.

While returning from a 120 mile round trip (through the Poconos - lots of hill climbs) the engine in my 37 Buick coupe began to knock loudly.  I pulled over and checked the oil - it was full on the dipstick.

Not wanting further damage, I had the car brought home on a flatbed for the last 20 miles.

Local mechanic took a look and told me the engine was down 4-1/2 quarts (!), and a rod is likely the source of the noise.

I keep a log in the glove compartment.  I check air pressure in tires, gasoline level, oil level, and radiator fluid level every time before taking the car out, and note these along with the mileage.  There were no oil leaks on the garage floor, and now blow out visible.  I don't see any oil burning, either.  Where the oil went is a mystery.

But that is now irrelevant.  Looks like it is time to swallow hard and get the engine rebuilt.

I was told by the previous owner it was rebuild only 1500 miles before I purchased it.  I've put on another 1500 miles.  But the mechanic told me, there are rebuilds, and then there are rebuilds.  We don't know the extent, or quality of the previous rebuild.

So, I need advice.  Can anyone recommend a good machine shop/mechanic who can rebuild a 1937 Buick 248 straight 8?

I am in eastern Pennsylvania.

Also, since I drive the car with modern (non-detergent) oil and lead free gasoline (with Startron added to combat any ethanol)

is there anything else I should consider, such as hardened valve seats?

Thanks,

Greg

Did the fellow start and determine where the knock is coming from?

Years ago I would take a very long screw driver, place the tip on different parts of an engine with the handle against my ear, and often determined WHERE the knock was located.

Don't rev the engine MUCH, I wish you well.

Dale in Indy

Nope, you read that right.  When I pulled over, checked the dipstick - it read full.

Called the tow truck.

Mechanic says it was down 4-1/2 quarts.

Where did the oil go?  That is the mystery.

But the knock is loud and the engine now needs repair and rebuild.

Something is crazy with the oil level issue. The car could not have been on a steep enough hill to read full if it had only one and one half quarts of oil in it. The oil did not leak out while on the tow truck or it would have been evident. If the rod started knocking it probably somehow lost its oil before that happened which would be what the mechanic found. The problem is the owner was aware enough to shut off the car and immediately check the oil, he saw that it was full and was probably surprised but I bet he was careful and he was correct that he saw full oil on the stick. Did he wipe it off and then reinsert it? He seems like a very careful owner as he kept a log of his maintenance.  I am baffled by the oil level issue, especially if it did not go many miles since the last oil check.

Greg, Did your oil gauge read any pressure, normal or low? To lose that much oil on a 100mi run I`d think that if it went out the tail pipe, It would have been smoking to the point that you couldn`t see anything behind you, oil would foul the plug and engine would be missing, running rough, and oil possibly dripping out the tail pipe. Is your exhaust pipe clean or wet oily looking?  Tom

• 4 weeks later...

I've contacted a few places about having the pan dropped and the engine looked at.  Using a long, 1/2" by 1" piece of wood, I have determined the knock is loudest

coming from the center of the bottom of the engine (straight 8 248 CID).

Yes, I pulled over on level ground, pulled out the dipstick, wiped it off, and read it.  It was full.  Repeated and got the same reading.

Drove about 4 miles to a service station, called for a tow.

The other day I started the engine up.  Quiet at first at low revs.  Loud knocking when reving.  I did note a leak in the exhaust manifold where it joins the exhaust pipe and sure enough, it was burning oil.   However, I don't think it burned 4-1/2 quarts in 4 miles.  Engine continues to run very smoothly.

We will have an answer only when the engine is opened up.