November Bugle

Bill Stoneberg

In the November Bugle, that came in the mail yesterday, there is a great article from Roy (TXBuicks) on how he donated his Roadmaster Wagon and the use it is getting now.

Good use of a car that may not be what he needed, but somebody else needed.

Good Job Roy.

Edited by Bill Stoneberg (see edit history)
  • Like 2

One quick question for whoever is in charge of the Bugle being posted online - why is it that folks are on the forum here talking about their printed copy that they have received in the mail before the Bugle has been posted online through the BCA website?  It would 'almost' seem logical to have the online posting in place BEFORE the printed copies go into the mail.  This doesn't do the members half way around the world chasing parts any chance at the classified ads before they get the hard copy in their hands.  This is supposed to be one of the benefits of this modern technological age we live in today.  Is / was someone asleep at the switch here?

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Terry I can answer that one as most of it happened under my last term as Pres. And as they say no good deed goes unpunished.

1. With the implementation of a new BCA IT consultant we were able to establish a consistent day the online version would "go live". The 1st day of the month, simple and easy to remember. At that time that was about 5 days before the hard copy arrived for first class mail folks. 

2. The Bugle printer has become more efficient and offered, at no charge and no change to deadlines we had, to get the Bugle shipped a week earlier. Thus the first class mail now arrives a few days before the end of the month.

I (yes you can blame me alone on this one) didn't consider moving up the go-live date for the e-Bugle. Also In lieu of changing all the deadlines and creating potential mess for Pete and Cindy and because I personally didn't think anyone would mind getting their Bugle earlier, we arrived at the situation we are in today. If the current BCA Pres/BOD want to accelerate the e-Bugle "go-live" date it is as simple as an email to our consultant requesting the change. It simply wasn't an issue for the past however many months since the Bugle started arriving earlier. .

Hope that helps explain.

BD

One quick question for whoever is in charge of the Bugle being posted online - why is it that folks are on the forum here talking about their printed copy that they have received in the mail before the Bugle has been posted online through the BCA website?  It would 'almost' seem logical to have the online posting in place BEFORE the printed copies go into the mail.  This doesn't do the members half way around the world chasing parts any chance at the classified ads before they get the hard copy in their hands.  This is supposed to be one of the benefits of this modern technological age we live in today.  Is / was someone asleep at the switch here?

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

• Like 1

Brian, thank you for the explanation as to what is going on with the printer.  Might it be possible that when the printer finishes his work and the magazines are ready to go to the mail, they could notify whomever posts it online to do so right then?  It would seem that all bases would be covered that way.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

I received my first class copy today. I expect the media mail copy (which most members receive) to arrive Friday.  In many parts of the country, members won't receive theirs for another week or so due to differences in efficiency between post offices.  Unfortunately, there is no perfect option.  You could say that everyone would have access to the e-bugle the same day, but the reality is that many, possibly a majority, wouldn't know how to access the e-bugle and would be waiting for their paper copy no matter the date.  Someone in Missouri is going to get their copy earlier than a member in Alaska. A member who paid extra for first class service is going to get their copy a few days earlier than those who paid the standard rate for periodical class. Someone tech-savvy is going to have access to the e-bugle about the same time. Sounds like a fair middle ground to me.

You are welcome to reach out to your favorite Board member and make your case for them to present a motion for change of posting date. 

• Like 2

The OTHER thing is that "International Mail" does not arrive overseas with the same rapidity as it does in the USA.  THAT is the advantage fo the e-Bugle for the international members.  From what I've heard, it can be "months" before they might receive a mailed copy with all that their print mail has to go through to get there.

I concur that "a set schedule" for the 'live date" is good.  The "when the print copy is printed" has its advantages, but if it does not happen consistently, month to month, then grumbles will be heard from the membership.  As we age, "consistency" can become more important than in our earlier years (my observations--no more, no less).

I opted for "regular mail" and haven't seen mine just yet.

NTX5467