Trippe Safety Light 1930-1950s.

Leif Holmberg

These may have been a "Factory" option, I'm quite sure they were at least a dealer installed option. These came 2 ways, the other variation, the "Senior" version, had a bubble balancer in  the top motif piece to assist in aligning.  I once had a NOS set in the box, and think there were instructions for installing them on a '48 Buick that came along with them.  They usually were installed in pairs, and mine were boxed that way.

Edited by Dave Henderson (see edit history)

The Trippe lights were an after market accessory, usually sold and mounted in pairs on the front of the car. Main usage of the style you show was roughly 1928-1940, but of course could show up on other years too. The light you show is a Junior model, the Senior model was similar but had liquid and a bubble in the top wrap around piece for leveling. Trippe also made spotlights and marine lights, I happen to have examples of each.

I believe these pics may help somewhat. The pic with a serial no seems to be representative of most Trippe lights I have seen. Compare with the no on your all red badge. Is yours significantly higher ? I speculate that the red badge Trippes were the most modern. Now on the ancient end of the spectrum , the more primitive badge without a serial no has rather different verbiage. Look closely. I have never seen another with "Liverpool" designated ! Also , the mounting bar is an older technique. This one is apparently a very old one , and has the level on top , but also mounts from the top! Built to HANG from the light bar ! Does anyone have any insight at all about the age of this ? I would like to mount it on my 1927 Cadillac if it is period correct.

Thank you , Carl

post-139274-0-94664800-1445279906_thumb.

post-139274-0-71672700-1445279954_thumb.

post-139274-0-70853300-1445280011_thumb.

The flat back design was later.  The point on the back was relieved because it impinged on the grill of the newer cars. The flat bar that carries the medallion is also indicative of the later design.

The timeline of Trippe lights that carry the s/n is still a mystery to me, as well as the cast vs pressed brass that carry the levelers. 

This shows the mounting arm , and pad for level (cast) on this "hanging" Trippe light. I called back to Chicago to try to date the light. The "Speedlight" designation and "Liverpool", on the badge drew a blank. Until I found this old Trippe at Portland this year , I had been looking for a flat glass , drum bucket fog light to replace the newer period light you see here. The old Trippe I found does have the more pointed back. Thanks for the explanation ! As far as the esthetic considerations of driving lights , I can agree that there can be too much of a good thing. Function , in my case , is a factor. I want to see what the light pattern would be with a dual filament halogen bulb , so it could have a high-low beam. I have heard old-timers refer to a fog light mounted low and right , as a "ditch light". In low visibility this could keep the car out of the ditch ! If the light is period correct , and with the plane of the lens being the same as the headlights , it could balance the Klaxon quite nicely. With the drag coefficient being what it is on this original survivor , and the low speeds I maintain , aerodynamic aspects are irrelevant. One aspect of displaying a functional accessory , is the "cool factor". This works particularly well if it is something seldom seen. Very few folks have seen a "hanging" Trippe. Likewise , the turn signals you see under the visor pass "cool" muster. When deployed , engine vacuum extends the semaphore , and it lights up.

Well , O.K. I have included a pic showing the "cool factor" of the dual rear spares. Some prefer sidemounts. Me ? I love 'em all. In this particular case , dual rear looks best to my eyes. If someone likes 3 or 4 pairs of lights on their car , it is sure not what I would do , but , "dif'rent strokes". I am an odd duck who likes closed cars as much as open cars ! Kinda like do you love yer son or daughter most. So I guess if you like Trippes , mount 'em up !

Oh , and by the way , Curt : in some way something you posted a while ago led me to mount up the duals. We were trying to see if there was any decipherable date code on these diamond pattern Goodyears. At the time , I had a single spare mounted with the original cover on it. The Cadillac crest decal is still in v.g.c. But these 2 tires were in the parts pile that came with the car. I can't remember what you said that set off the light bulb , buy I found 2 rims , and this is the result. For me , I prefer the look and obvious function over displaying the cool original cover.

But I would still like to know more about my unusual old Trippe. Good luck with yours , Leif ! - Carl

post-139274-0-82181300-1445360863_thumb.

post-139274-0-77543800-1445360919_thumb.

post-139274-0-89235900-1445361013_thumb.

post-139274-0-03328700-1445361065_thumb.

post-139274-0-86233200-1445361116_thumb.

I see a conventional Trippe with a badge like mine on eBay. Also it appears that a Jr. is a somewhat smaller light with a curved lens. I guess you could get a Sr. , "wit" or "witout" , to paraphrase a purveyor of mediocre Philly steak sandwiches. Hmmmm........ should I delete this inane analogy ? What does cheese have to do "wit" built-in levels anyway ? It is late , and I am tired. Zzzzzzzzz - Carl

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...