fall hershey lodging

Bob Baumgarten

Just be happy you got a room this late.   I remember one year about 10 years ago the place we always stay at was under renovation & we didn't find out until the week before Hershey.  We ended up staying at 3 different motels for the week as no single place had rooms available Tuesday through Saturday night.    

Does anyone remember the days before cell phones and the line of guys calling home from the pay phones in the diner at the Hummelstown Plaza?

post-89785-0-83306800-1443278408_thumb.j

post-89785-0-59638200-1443278410_thumb.j

I took those pictures in 2011 while passing through on a job. Pay phones abandoned and no trail of mud. I stood in those phone lines a lot.

One year my son and I stayed in the Fleetwood Motel at that plaza; a '69, Brougham.

Bernie

Does anyone remember the days before cell phones and the line of guys calling home from the pay phones in the diner at the Hummelstown Plaza?

attachicon.gif012a.jpg

attachicon.gif013a.jpg

I took those pictures in 2011 while passing through on a job. Pay phones abandoned and no trail of mud. I stood in those phone lines a lot.

One year my son and I stayed in the Fleetwood Motel at that plaza; a '69, Brougham.

Bernie

Oh God, I'd totally forgotten about the pay phone lines. Thanks for the memory!

I am unfamiliar with Airbnb, what is it ? Wayne

Check out the link above that uh6077 provided.

It's private rooms, basements, etc rented out by homeowners.

I've never stayed in one, but in a quick research on page 1, that basement in Lancaster sounds pretty good.

Harrisburg is a cash-strapped city that has good parts and bad (i.e. crime-ridden) parts. In contrast, Hershey, Hummelstown, Mechanicsburg, New Cumberland, etc. are nice towns. There are some nice parts of Harrisburg, however, and the motels and "hotels" there are probably fine.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

I remember a standoff with a big black spider in the bathroom and one of my last minute Harrisburg motels. It was about 2 AM and I was glad I turned the light on. I didn't want to hurt him because I think they eat bed bugs.

My work gets me into lots of economically depressed towns and their living quarters. We just take it in stride. A couple of years ago I had a team in the southern tier of New York and thousands of spiders made a midnight migration across a lighted parking lot. Light and spiders came in under the door. The guys spent the night folding blankets and sheets in the cracks. In the morning the desk clerk said "Yeah, they do that sometimes." and knocked $15 off each room.

Some call it adventure.

I was in Baltimore once and turned a corner in my truck at night. I immediately recognized a location that had been in a recurring bad dream I had been having. Now, that will really scare the hell out of you!

I'm staying at the Hollywood Motel with a great view overlooking the cemetery. Somewhere I have a picture of the cemetery, my son, my '77 Sedan DeVille, the motel, and fresh snow.

Adventure is in the eye of the beholder.

Bernie

Mine is $37 per night and I have access to the whole house and kitchen. Kind of like staying in a hotel where you have your room but have access to the rest of what the hotel offers. When I go somewhere with the family I prefer to rent a whole house so I don't worry about the kids bothering the owners. There are some really neat rentals if you look around the country. Airstream trailers, tiny house trailers, tree houses. There is even one of those converted 747s that is mounted on a pole that spins in the wind. 

Edited by uh6077 (see edit history)

People keep using the term "hotel," as if

all those highway chains really aren't motels!

Actually, there are very few HOTELS in the area--

downtown premium lodging with doormen, concierges,

bellboys, and the like.

No one can convince me that a Holiday Inn Express

or Hampton Inn, with just one or two low-paid clerks

on duty, isn't just a 3-story motel. Do they think

that by calling themselves "hotels," people will be

more willing to pay $120 a night?

Airbnb and other rental sites are great alternatives

to higher-priced lodging, and may put downward pressure

on their prices.