1955 Wiper Question

Paul Falabella

Guest gmeyer316

I believe the shaft is splined and the wiper arm base pushes on over it ,its probably corroded and will take some work, I would try carefully prying up with the blade of a screwdriver.

gmeyer316 is correct.  They are splined and it a "press-fit."  What I used to get mine off is a super small pry bar, shaped somewhat like a crow bar.  I placed a piece of wood under the bar and carefully pried up.  The other thing that might work is a spark plug wire removal tool.  Mine has padded "claws" and could fit right over the base of the wiper.  With a little wiggling it might work itself loose.  Just some suggestions.

Thanks all, Dave you are correct.Spring tension is felt pulling arm inboard. 

Next question, anyone know what diameter vacuum tubing is used from the fuel pump and dash switch? The stuff is kind of expensive and want to get the right stuff.

Thanks

Just cut off a small piece and bring it with you to the store for sizing.

Agreed, Polara, there is a price difference between fuel line and vacuum line. In some cases, for a "run" that long AND the possibility that fuel vapors could be in that line, I might err toward the normal reinforced fuel line hose.  The reinforcement might help keep the hose from collapsing as time progresses.

BUT, there are varying qualities and "wall thickness" between OEM-spec vacuum line and the less expensive line (that looks basically the same as the "good stuff").  Some is quite flimsy when new and can deteriorate as time and heat cycles progresses, by observation.  The OEM-level vacuum line is worth the effort to find, regardless of the price for the thicker-wall rubber hose tubing!

NTX5467

Ballpark, how many feet of vacuum line is needed for a 55 Roadmaster?

I recently replaced all lines on a Century, sourced at  a local CarQuest.  I think I used 6 feet of each size that I took along to match.  The price was reasonable and the quality adequate for the application.