'65 Upholstery Dilema

slosteve

The Short Version:  I bought my upholstery from Clarks awhile back and took it and the seats to a local guy for installation. They turned out very firm, to the point of being uncomfortable.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this as my highly experienced trimmer wants to blame it on the 'heavy' quality of the material Clarks uses.

Steve

post-134775-0-23432100-1441853507_thumb.  post-134775-0-96302500-1441853573_thumb.  post-134775-0-31930500-1441853611_thumb.

You didn't state if you bought new foams or not. If you did, that is why the seat feels too firm.

Repro foams are way too firm compared to factory foams. Repro seat foams are a pet peeve of mine, which led Ed Raner

to change my screen name to "Seatfoam 65".

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

Im going to be in a pickle myself with foam here in a bit.  I did find a local source for upholstery foam.  The problem is my foam is so dried out, I have no idea how firm it should be.  So I guess Im free to pick a foam thats comfortable but wont know til the seats are together.

You didn't state if you bought new foams or not. If you did, that is why the seat feels too firm.

Repro foams are way too firm compared to factory foams.

Yes Winston, all new foam supplied by the trimmer. He claims that even if he removed it from the seat it would still not give due to the stiffness of Clarks product. (?!)

I have to believe that the foam is the problem.....I've never heard of a seat cloth that doesn't have give and

isn't capable of flexing when you sit on it. Unless it's woven out of steel mesh I'm not buying that theory....sounds like the

typical repro foam syndrome to me. 

If your buns are too firm, is that really a problem? Just saying. PRL

Ha, that's a good one Pete. The problem is that my head is too close to the top but more uncomfortable is the seat backs. They have you sitting straight up and forward where your lower back doesn't even contact it. Not exactly a luxury car feel.

Steve

Steve-I couldn't resist. All joking aside, I agree with Seafoam. I think it's gotta be the foam. I had a similar problem with a 442 I re-did years back. I took the seats back to the upholsterer and complained. He took the seat covers off and literally shaved the foam with an electric bread knife while a watched. Then he made me sit on them until it felt about right. Then he put the covers back on. PRL

Ya know Ed, I had removed the seat and had it on the table to try removing the rear two hard rubber biscuits (pass. seat) that go between the sliders and the seat base. But I kept looking at them thinking, why am I modifying these to compensate for the (incompetent) work that I paid good money for. Not mentioned in the 'Short Version' of this story is the fact that I employed this trimmer because, first he was recommended by knowledgeable people in the business and, secondly he convinced me that he has done numerous bucket seats such as mine over the years and was profoundly familiar with every aspect of them, including how much foam was necessary to keep from the exact problems I'm now experiencing. I had already taken them back to him once because I felt that the 'shape' was incorrect and the buttons did not set 'into' the pleats as they did originally. He kept them for 10 weeks and barely adjusted the problem. When I just recently got them installed and noticed the 'firmness' I was not going to return to him as I don't think I will ever get satisfaction there. But I decided that he should know of the situation before I take them to someone else in our rather small town and before he starts hearing of my dissatisfaction through a 3rd party. That is when he gave me his 'diagnosis' of the cause and why I thought I would seek others experience with Clarks upholstery.

Whew  :wacko: ,

Steve

You have nice new upholstery now, with strong seams. Forget the upholsterer exists. Take them apart and do it over yourself.

I have a new driver's seat back from Clark's that I haven't installed yet. It is soft and supple. I have a nice pair of long handled side cutters for hog rings. Each time I squeeze the handles and cut a hog ring I think of another lame excuse a trimmer would give for a poor job. Thanks, I'll do it myself.

Is you trimmer British? The leather over there may have misled him:

Bernie

Bernie, always appreciate your input.   :lol:   I do know how to operate those side cutters as I completely dismantled the upholstery before sandblasting & painting the frames. Not very familiar with the hog ring pliers though.

Don't know why this shows in italics sometimes, either.

Steve

Edited by slosteve (see edit history)

These are easy on the hands when you are cutting a hundred or so hog rings:  http://www.tooltopia.com/sunex-tools-3710.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=paid_search_google_pla&scid=scplp6829889&gclid=Cj0KEQjwvdSvBRDahavi3KPGrvUBEiQATZ9v0J3S6FEez3Bn21CfahUQBOCsnRJhlEOcLIx_AZ-4FfYaAio18P8HAQ

If you dismantled the upholstery and preped the seats you can make those cushions just the way you want them. If you screw up a panel Clark's will make another and you'll still be ahead.

On the latex idea, I like that. My Packard had a rubber layer across the front seat for extra comfort. I may try that on my Riviera when I get around to that part.

Not to sound completely cynical, I was on the phone with Lewis Jenkins last week asking him to do the sunvisors on my Park Ave Convert. They look hard and he was the first person I thought of. I just need to stop driving the car to get them off; 52 this morning, but back into the 70's this week and the sun is setting lower. Him, I trust.

Bernie

Could it just be that everything is new and just needs to be worn in??  Gives you even more reason to be in the drivers seat ;)

I've had that thought, Chris and before I tear into them again I'll give them some time. Luckily this car has the drivers power seat so I can lean it back to where I can drive it. Not so with the pass. side.  But they are quite solid.

Steve

I just can't see the buyer handing over $5,000 in 1965 money and listening to the salesman say the seats are hard, but they will get better.

Would it be something that got 20% softer and stop, or would it continue at some rate to zero firmness?

I wouldn't be "comfortable" with that story. Then, again, I've had to learn to live with my expectations being too high for quite a while now.

Bernie

Guest my3buicks

If you plan on using the car a lot, the seats will break in a bit - you are used to seats that have broken down with years of age and use.  The benefit will be seats that look good longer as they will stay nice and taut.  Give the time, you can always make a change later. 

• Like 1

Bernie,

Louis Jenkins died over a year ago, was a good friend and greatly missed.  You must have been talking to his son, Hill Jenkins.

I remember that now. I was happy with a knowledgeable conversation, even about a simple pair of visors.

Bernie