'65 wheels

RIVNIK

40 minutes ago, Seafoam65 said:

I used the cast iron engine paint on my wheels.....most brands of those paints have a satin finish,

I know mine did.

When I was putting everything back in its place, I did come across some satin clear. I’ll hit the paint with it tomorrow and see what I come up with, if anything different.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/4/2024 at 11:18 AM, 1965rivgs said:

`64 Buick simply described the optional wheels as "chrome wheels

Tom, so Buick Roadwheels is a moniker Buick fans conjured or is Buick Roadwheels the generic description for the wheel. Ive gotten the impression Buick Rallye Wheels are 14” wheels for the Skylark? Id like to know the correct description for the two different size wheels. I appreciate your input.

Turbinator

As Tom pointed out, “chrome wheels” is how they were described on the 1965 Buick Riviera order sheet.  In 1964, if you ordered them for your new Wildcat, they were referred to as “Formula Five” wheels.  Anything else is just a moniker that someone has hung on them.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2016 at 4:17 PM, rodneybeauchamp said:

63/64 Buick bolt pattern specific, ie fits the bolt pattern and also the large hub?

I bought 4 Buick stainless wire spoke wheels from TruSpoke in Fullerton CA. There are numerous bolt patterns drilled in my wheels. Ive had the wheels on my 63 Buick Riviera as wheel as my 64 Chevy Impala SS. The wheels fit fine for both automobiles.

I found the ride in both cars stable and safe. I am suggesting entering in with substitutions go with safety in mind.

On 8/27/2015 at 8:56 AM, steelman said:

But there are people who can straighten this wheel for you.

Steelman, Ill second that. Ive watched a “ Rim Right shop” straighten a Buick wheel. Did a good job.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I found a picture of a 1965 Riviera window sticker.  It refers to Chrome Wheels as option V2 , sames as the order form. $91.38  Can't hardly buy one for that now.  Kind of odd, power seat but no power windows.

1965 riviera window sticker.jpg

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, RivNut said:

Can't hardly buy one for that now.

"Two Custom Front Seatbelts-With Retractors". I would say pocket change even back then for $7.53

This was 1965. I can still recall Nay Sayers back in 1980 refusing to buckle-up. Rather take a chance and be thrown clear of an accident. Stupid passengers having great trust in my driving, LOL.

image.png.b913581990edb2e9f57ef50d7028de35.png

On 4/21/2024 at 7:47 PM, Turbinator said:

Tom, so Buick Roadwheels is a moniker Buick fans conjured or is Buick Roadwheels the generic description for the wheel. Ive gotten the impression Buick Rallye Wheels are 14” wheels for the Skylark? Id like to know the correct description for the two different size wheels. I appreciate your input.

Turbinator

IMG_1241.JPG

IMG_1240.JPG

• Like 1

Chrome it is - all models, full or intermediate. No more debate, it’s been proven and reproved. But call them what you lik.  Full full sized rims are 15”, considered to be one piece, and have a 5 on 5 bolt pattern.  Intermediate rims are, for the most part 14” (70s Sklylark GSX had 15 x 7) are considered two piece, and have a 4.75 x 5 bolt pattern.  Buick “rally wheel” is probably akin to finding the term ‘nailhead’ or ‘switch pitch’ in any Buick parts book or chassis manual.  Someone originally phrased it and it’s now acceptable albeit not proper.  Chevy folks have conjured up names that have stuck are used daily, so why can’t Buick folks do the same.  If you’re a buyer know what you’re looking at. If you’re a seller be specific in your description. 

Posted (edited)

Bill,  thank you for the reference. The Buick parts book says the Buick wheel in question is a Chrome Wheel. Chrome Wheel it is. Describing the Chrome Wheel with size dimension and color on the webs helps. The number(s) stamped on the barrel of the wheel can be useful in the description. Whatever it takes is a good attitude toward customer satisfaction.

Thank you

Turbinator

Edited by Turbinator (see edit history)