Unmolested, running and driving 1936 International Harvester pickup

Hi All,

Finances and illness have determined it is time to sell my 1936 International Harvester 1/2 ton pickup.

It was a locally owned vehicle that has never been out of Pennsylvania since it was delivered new to a feed and seed store near my home.

It is totally stock with the exception of small guidelights (with LED's) on the fenders and a 2nd tailight to act as turn signals. 

All new Rhode Island Wiring including 2-0 cables to the new 6 volt positive ground battery. New spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, rotor, coil, points and condenser

Starts at the touch of the starter and runs cool even on 90 degree day.

I rebuilt the hydraulic brakes with new master cylinder, lines, wheel cylinders, shoes and springs.  While I was at it, I replaced the inner and outer wheel bearings.

I opened the transmission (3 spd syncronized) and rear end for inspection. no cracks or broken teeth.

Tires are like new.

It is currently listed on Ebay with a low reserve: http://www.ebay.com/itm/321833932588?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

And there is a test drive on youtube:

She always draws a crowd whereever we go.

You will enjoy it as much as I have!post-105700-0-69216000-1439731024_thumb.

Thanks,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight Romberger (see edit history)

Dwight ,

Although I have never had the pleasure of meeting you , I wish I could have had the opportunity. I have noticed on the forum that you often stand up to help those struggling with illness. We who have had the good fortune to grow old , sometimes suffer simultaneous health and financial problems. Myself included. Playing the new hand we have been dealt is obviously a difficult adjustment. Although I do not know the specifics of your situation , perhaps , somehow , you can deploy the pieces you have left to derive some new satisfaction. In my own case , I was facing realities , when the 1927 Cadillac I had given up finding , found ME ! I dumped 5 vehicles to buy and get it running well. Stimulated me to get under the '24 Cad and work on it until it sent me to the hospital in pain. A friend helped me , and I am now finally , after years , driving it again along with the '27. I (or my son) can sell them later. We are so lucky to live in this country , where so many opportunities surround us. This is not to diminish your predicament , but we must be the luckiest generation , to have lived where and when we did. Dwight , please forgive this assumption of familiarity. It is just that I have noticed your kindness and efforts on behalf of others in need. I wish you the very best possible , my brother. My thoughts and prayers are with you. - Carl Fielding

P.S. : Did you ever get that "upside down" tachometer working right ?

Guest AlCapone

Dwight ,

Although I have never had the pleasure of meeting you , I wish I could have had the opportunity. I have noticed on the forum that you often stand up to help those struggling with illness. We who have had the good fortune to grow old , sometimes suffer simultaneous health and financial problems. Myself included. Playing the new hand we have been dealt is obviously a difficult adjustment. Although I do not know the specifics of your situation , perhaps , somehow , you can deploy the pieces you have left to derive some new satisfaction. In my own case , I was facing realities , when the 1927 Cadillac I had given up finding , found ME ! I dumped 5 vehicles to buy and get it running well. Stimulated me to get under the '24 Cad and work on it until it sent me to the hospital in pain. A friend helped me , and I am now finally , after years , driving it again along with the '27. I (or my son) can sell them later. We are so lucky to live in this country , where so many opportunities surround us. This is not to diminish your predicament , but we must be the luckiest generation , to have lived where and when we did. Dwight , please forgive this assumption of familiarity. It is just that I have noticed your kindness and efforts on behalf of others in need. I wish you the very best possible , my brother. My thoughts and prayers are with you. - Carl Fielding

P.S. : Did you ever get that "upside down" tachometer working right ?

Carl You also sound like a very kind hearted and compassionate gentleman. I wish you all the best life has to offer.

May God Bless you, Wayne in Canada

Thanks Carl. That was very kind of you. And thank you for the prayers.

I don't remember the "upside down" tachometer, but it sounds like me!

I am sure with help from great friends on this site I got it turned around.

The good news is that the truck is doing very well on Ebay. The auction is only 1 1/2 days old and the reserve is off and the current bid is $11,433!

Thanks Carl. That was very kind of you. And thank you for the prayers.

I don't remember the "upside down" tachometer, but it sounds like me!

Thank you Dwight and Wayne , thank you very much indeed for your regards.

Very fortunate are those who are bestowed with the peace that is rewarded upon the virtuous. And a great strength is developed every time someone helps another in need. You internalize power and wisdom , and find that you are then better equipped to come to your own aid when the situation arises. All the insights you have passed on to others , now echo , and ring more true than ever before. And guys and gals , how especially lucky are we old car nuts ! Yeah , it is rather expensive . Yup , it sure occupies a lot of time and space ! And in the time and space that is Creation , WOW ! it sure is cheap psychotherapy ! All you have to do is get one out on the road . Go anywhere. Meet anyone. They will love to talk about your old relic. One. A crowd. And though you have enthusiastically answered similar questions many times before , this is a brand new audience. Sometimes you get a brand new question ! You are making everyone around you happy ! You just feel great , and you can do it whenever the weather and your strength permits. And if your are not strong enough , make sure you have taught a young'un to give you a ride , perhaps to experience the back seat. Cheap psychotherapy , I say.

I love buying them . I have a tough time selling them . A great consolation, though Is knowing you are making another set of people happy. And we do like to spread happiness and joy.

If it came down to it , could I , if I had to , sell my house and keep my cars ? How ? Live with them in a rented garage , still able to get out and drive them ? Has anyone been known to do that in need ? Hard core. Hard core. Hmmmmmm............. Hard core in India. Hard core where ? India. There are some , I think they are a type of Fundamentalist Jain who enjoy the late stage of life as they came in. Their relationship with God invites them to divest themselves of all possessions. Everything. Even their clothes. No matter their economic status ! Wandering the back roads , depending upon others for gifts of food. Hard core , alright. On the back roads of India.

Thank you so much , Dwight for the Pennsylvania back roads video cruise ! Man , I sure appreciated that synchromesh ! And that steering sure looks easier than my 10 , 12 years older Cadillacs ! Recirculating ball , right ? If my bone on bone left shoulder gets worse , I might have to trade up ! Trade. Options. Options ? Opportunities ? Blessings. Blessings. Count Them . Friends . All. - Carl

And now the tach. Dwight , don't I remember correctly that you purchased a very cool tach , maybe a year or so ago. Instead of having a sweep in the form of an arch , or a rainbow , this old brass tach swung in a broad "U" shape , and read up to maybe 2200 rpm. Seems you were going to put it on a speedster. Wondered if the range would be sufficient. I think that I responded that it might just have had to read up to torque peak , that being a useful engine speed in an old car , particularly if you had to pull a grade in a lower gear. Max torque band for my old Cads is 1800 - 2200 rpm . I would think rather typical for most engines of the period. Exceptionally large old engines probably had peaked at lower speeds. Was that you ? Did you make it work ? Maybe someone else. Just about bedtime again here.