Fall Hershey 2015 Registration Deadline - Postmarked by August 15!

starfireelvis

Checked this website yesterday, under Meets, and Registration, and the Eastern Fall Meet from October 7-10, 2015 is now open for registration until August 15th.   So, get 'er done, and can't wait until early October for the annual trek east to the greatest car show on the planet!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Given what has happened at most other meets and shows this year, I would be real interested to hear how the registration for Hershey has gone.   Many of the AACA meets extended deadlines this year due to low and last minute applications.   It isn't just in AACA, i have seen it at many levels.   I hope this isn't a trend for the future.  It makes planning very difficult for meet organizers.   Get those entries in people!!!!

Registering a '49 VW today. Amazingly challenging restoration due to extreme scarcity of parts. '52 and up you can get about anything, pre '52 is an altogether different story. We did manage to find what may be the last pair of NOS heads on Earth. Now all we have to do is get this car finished in time for Hershey.

Amazing how similar yet different they are from later models. The hardest parts to find were original taillights, original headlight assemblies and engine parts. This car still has mechanical brakes. We had to fabricate some brake parts. a previous "restorer" had disassembled the car and apparently lost many of the original parts. We sourced original interior material from a fellow in Germany who had the original rewoven. I think the cost of parts versus the cost of labor on this restoration was higher than any we've done before. For example, $1200 for a set of original heads plus plus shipping from Brazil. $1500 for the original upholstery material, $1400 for a pair of original NOS Trafficators, specific to the '49. The list goes on... .

I always thought it was funny when I heard people say "Volkswagen made the same car from 1949 until 1979 (or 2003 depending how you are counting)" . The outward similarities sure hid a lot of internal changes!! Doesn't matter the Split is still the King!! BTW, I have a lot of Crosley mechanical brakes laying around...if any are adaptable for future work, feel free to call!!

Veterans of Hershey know the score.  The deadline will NOT be extended!  Get your registrations in!  You have until Saturday to get it postmarked.  If you are registering online make sure you print out the form and mail it with your payment to the Hershey Region, not AACA national headquarters.  Every year we get sad stories after the fact and requests for leniency but for this meet the rules are followed.

AUGUST 15TH IS THE DEADLINE!!! 

... for this meet the rules are followed.

I trust they will enforce the AACA rule again that all cars on the show field

MUST stay until 3 p.m., or else be disqualified.  It isn't fair to all the

people who come from afar--admiring the 1300 vehicles on the show field--

to see them start to drive away an hour early.

With so many interesting cars to view, if cars are there from 9 a.m. 

to 3 p.m., a visitor still only has less than 20 seconds per car.

Imagine coming from 1000 or 3000 or 8000 miles away, as some

visitors do, only to have the cars drive away while you're still looking.

Will this rule be enforced for 2015?

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

No, I didn't know the answer to that.

Otherwise, I would not have asked.

In 2014, the rule was announced on the show field,

to the benefit of thousands of participants.

In several previous years, 

IT WAS NOT ENFORCED, and more and more

cars began leaving earlier and earlier.  Two o'clock

was becoming the time that cars began leaving--

an hour early.  "With everyone's cooperation" is important;

but unless it is announced and enforced as a rule,

cooperation is not guaranteed.  So, will the rule

please be enforced for 2015?

And why can't people be prevented from leaving early?

Antique shows (non-automotive) have such a requirement,

not allowing their exhibitors to leave before the allotted time.

Emergencies are one thing, but one's mere convenience is another.

And have any of the early departures actually been

disqualified in recent years?  

Let's all think of our visitors, and keep the show excellent.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

John, announcements were  made and will be again this year and yes security asked for the windshield card and those cars were disqualified. Who is going to debate whether someone has an emergency or not? Neither the region, HE & R or AACA are going to fight with people trying to leave the field. These are our members.  We ask them to cooperate and the penalty for not is being disqualified.  The vast majority of people abide by our rules.   

For those that question if their registration has been received, please accept a fools advice.   I always left it to chance and did not invest in the SASE to confirm.  This year at Awkscht Fescht, my registration was lost in the mail.  My check was never cashed and through no fault of the region I was not registered.  I will ALWAYS invest the extra 50 cents to get a confirmation in the future.  My confirmation from Hershey cam back promptly and now I don't have to think about it.  Cheap insurance!!!

I echo the prudent suggestion of sending a SASE along with my registration and check; I always receive it back in about three weeks, give or take; same amount of time for the check to clear as well. Keeping in mind that I send things in literally the very first day (and I was the 11th vehicle registered); I would imagine that as the deadline approaches, the turnaround time is lengthened by the flurry of activity that inevitably occurs...