Source for Steering Sector repair

Gary Gates

I am looking for a source for steering sector parts for my 1917 Maxwell Truck. The worm and worm wheel are both badly worn. (Maxwell # 's worm B1739 and Worm wheel 20053) I would like to update it to a reciprocating ball set up like my 1919 Maxwell Truck has. Does any one have any spare parts or know a source?

Gary Gates

Does anyone have experience with an independent foundry or small foundry that has or would consider recasting replacement parts that could be re-machined as replacements? I would prefer a business that I could just furnish the parts to copy and not to completely rebuild the sector.

Machining a worm and gear is not something the vast majority of small machine shops could accomplish. There is quite a bit of complicated tooth geometry to a worm and gear for it to run smoothly not to mention specialized cutters and machines. Not saying it can't be done if enough time and money is thrown at it. Just saying. If you are going to go that route might be better and less expensive to machine them from solid.......Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

Thank you for all the good responses! I have some places to check now! One other thought was that if anyone has a 1920's interchange parts book, it might show the sectors mfg. I'm sure Maxwell didn't make it them selves and it was probably used on several cars and trucks.

• 1 month later...

Members all! Final Chapter to the steering worm saga. A machinist friend was able to polish the worm slightly. We then rotated the the worm gear 180 degrees ( so it is touching with teeth not yet worn). Further noting the sequence of holes in the mounting hub, we discovered that the boss was an eccentric and rotation allowed a tighter alignment on the sector. After this learning process, the result has removed the excess travel in steering and original performance obtained. Sometimes experience is a wonderful teacher!

Gary Gatespost-110096-0-09064700-1440953160_thumb.

• Like 1