Rumble seat ride & priorities

Have you ridden in a rumble seat?  I have not!

I do not need a 7-car garage anymore, but still would love to have this place, ya know, in case that changes again.

B&W photo of Metro City, in the 1960s:

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"Sometimes love comes and goes away" __ George Strait __ 'Marina Del Ray'

Have you ridden in a rumble seat?  I have not!

Yes I sure have I have ridden in one and it was in the car I own today the '31 Packard rumble seat. My great uncle owned the car before my father purchased it from him in in 1987. My great Uncle would take the '31 out on Sunday drives and a few us would jump in the rumble seat and he would drive around the Marquette Park area in Chicago.

I can still picture it in my mind o the joy and fun we had and the thumbs up from other drivers.

Cort, I rode in rumbleseat of our friend's 31 model A as a kid, maybe 13 or 14. Never forgot it and large factor in my life long interest in old cars. We recently acquired a 30 A roadster although admittedly I have yet to climb in back there, although mrs. Mack has.

My friend still has the 31 also, which he helped his dad restore in the 70s. His dad has been gone for a while but the car is obviously a great reminder of his dad and the time they spent on the restoration.

Cannot wait to get the two cars together!!

If you were in CT I would be happy to have you test it out!

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

I can still picture it in my mind o the joy and fun we had and the thumbs up from other drivers.

Those are images etched in the mind forever, I bet!  So cool that you own it & kept it in the family!

If you were in CT I would be happy to have you test it out!

Well, I was in CT a few years ago (2010) ... but that don't help me now, Steve ... LOL!

How soon will you be getting the 1930 & 1931 together?  Would be great to see pics of that meeting. ;)  Glad your friend still has the family 1931, too ... so cool when cars are kept "in house" for so long.

"Relight the flame when it's cold"__Godsmack__'Serenity'

I have ridden in the rumble seat of a '30 Model "A" and a '31 Plymouth coupe. I really enjoyed the experience and was impress as to how much room there was. The Plymouth's rear window rolled down so it was easier to talk to the folks in the front. They were however, a little tricky getting in and out of!

Guest Bill Wright

It has been my experience, that kids love the rumble seat.

Adults will ride once and that's it!

I have the '28 roadster that I rode in the rumble seat as a child,absolutely no interest in riding there or in any other rumble again.

I have ridden in the rumble seat of a '30 Model "A" and a '31 Plymouth coupe. I really enjoyed the experience and was impress as to how much room there was. The Plymouth's rear window rolled down so it was easier to talk to the folks in the front. They were however, a little tricky getting in and out of!

Ha ... glad someone had enough room.  Seems most people have reported not having enough room back there.  The rear window rolling down seems like it should've been on all cars with rumble seats, if it wasn't, that is. ;)

Yes hopefully we get them together soon. My buddy is only one town over but he works third shift so we don't connect enough these days.

Ahhhh ... that seems to happen a lot these days ... different schedules mean less time people can get together.  A shame & sad, in my opinion, anyway.

It has been my experience, that kids love the rumble seat.

Adults will ride once and that's it!

I have the '28 roadster that I rode in the rumble seat as a child,absolutely no interest in riding there or in any other rumble again.

So, guessing you've taken a lot of kids for rides so they can experience the rumble seat?! :)

I fondly remember riding in a friend's 32 Ford coupe rumble seat with my wife on our wedding day.March 28, 1978.

Now that is awesome ... quite a nice wedding parade vehicle!

"Crank up the music" __ Steven Curtis Chapman __ 'Live Out Loud'

My wife and I rode in the rumble seat of her uncle's 1936 Ford convertible on our wedding day, August 6, 1968.  He gave us a ride from the church to the restaurant where the reception was held.  Still smile every time I think of that ride!

• Like 1

You haven't lived until you have gone to a drive in movie in a rumble seat.  My kids (age 36 to 46) still talk about the experience of going to the movies  in our 34 Pontiac.  Thanks for bringing up the memory.  Bob Smits

Guest AlCapone

Heh Cort I presently have three cars in my collection with rumble seats. My grandchildren love them especially the four year old. I have a very large storage building for my car collection. On snowy, blowy days little Carer comes over to grandpas place and we go for a ride inside the barn ( arena ). I am sure his school friends and teacher doubt it when he relates his adventures for show and tell. Regards, wayne

My wife and I rode in the rumble seat of her uncle's 1936 Ford convertible on our wedding day, August 6, 1968.  He gave us a ride from the church to the restaurant where the reception was held.  Still smile every time I think of that ride!

Sounds like the perfect wedding ride vehicle!!!!

You haven't lived until you have gone to a drive in movie in a rumble seat.  My kids (age 36 to 46) still talk about the experience of going to the movies  in our 34 Pontiac.  Thanks for bringing up the memory.  Bob Smits

You are welcome, Bob ... glad this sparked those memories for you!  While I've been to the drive-in with friends in a station wagon, have not been there in a car with a rumble seat.  That has to be a blast!

Heh Cort I presently have three cars in my collection with rumble seats. My grandchildren love them especially the four year old. I have a very large storage building for my car collection. On snowy, blowy days little Carer comes over to grandpas place and we go for a ride inside the barn ( arena ). I am sure his school friends and teacher doubt it when he relates his adventures for show and tell. Regards, wayne

LOL ... yeah, they may give him the "I don't know if you're telling the truth" eye, Wayne. ;)  But ... those are some great times & memories you are giving your grandchildren.  No doubt they will remember those times with you!

"When we stand together, it's our finest hour" __ The Judds __ 'Love Can Build A Bridge'