Can you help determine what this car is?

Marty Roth

The photo was taken in 1918, possibly in Wisconsin. Aunt Millie's son-in-law Dan hopes you can help identify the car.

post-97723-0-22210300-1432771609_thumb.j

I should have noted that it appears to be a Right-Hand-Drive,

and also seems to have a "ONE MAN TOP" as I don't see a top-iron just behind the driver's seat.

Would that make it roughly 1915 and newer?

I'm always amazed and appreciative of the wealth and depth of knowledge on our FORUM

• Like 1

Marty mentioned a "ONE-MAN TOP" - with the angle of the camera, could the vehicle be under a pavilion and the car have the top down? I think I'm seeing the top corner of the windshield with no sign of the top at that point (if the top was up).

Is there any significance to the pin-stripe on the body/door? Would that have been an option in the mid-teens?

Thanks for letting me ask, as I am always trying to learn from this massive knowledge base!

Marty mentioned a "ONE-MAN TOP" - with the angle of the camera, could the vehicle be under a pavilion and the car have the top down? I think I'm seeing the top corner of the windshield with no sign of the top at that point (if the top was up).

Is there any significance to the pin-stripe on the body/door? Would that have been an option in the mid-teens?

Thanks for letting me ask, as I am always trying to learn from this massive knowledge base!

Chuck,

Thank you for your thoughts.

I'm pretty sure that the underside of the top in the photo is, in fact, the top for the car by (in an enlargement by clicking on the photo) the supporting straps and other features. Tops of this era did not necessarily attach to the windshield frame. They would frequently have leather straps which would attach to a point forward on the chassis, or some other location. A separate canvas flap would provide additional protection between the top and the windshield, at least in some of the early cars I've owned, driven, or judged. Click on the photo for an enlargement.

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

Chuck, THanks for your response and yoour thooughts.

Cars of this era frequently did not attach the top directly to the windshield, but rather had leather straps which could hook to some forward point on the fender or chassis. A separate flap might provide additional protection between the windshield and the top. I'm pretty sure the top is "up" in this photo, by the looks of the canvas straps supporting what appears to be the top.

Right above the nurse on the right it looks like a top iron for a touring car.

Split windshield both sections at 90° the upper one reflecting light on the bottom side of the top.

Door hinge upper rear of the front door so I don't think it is a Maxwell.

I am leaning more to Studebaker or a similar size car.