Best way to clean a gas tank ?

Rogillio

1926 Dodge.....never been restored....say with fuel in tank for 6 years.....

I dump the brown looking smelly crap out of the tank. I googled how to clean a tank.....read about using vinager. Bought 4 gallons and let soak overnight. More dark brown came out. But when I look down in the tank the bottom is covered in black crap. I pot some rocks in and tilted back and forth til

My arms were exhausted. More crap came out. Bottom still coveted. I was reluctant to use carb/parts clearer as that stuff is $27 a gallon....then it occurred to me, I can use the stuff and then pour it back into the gallon can.

IDK if this is gonna work or not. Tips and suggestions welcome.

I have a pressure washer but that would only clean the end of the tank where the gas cap is.

After trying many attempts  at cleaning it myself and failing I took my 42 Lincoln tank to a radiator shop and he cleaned and sealed it.  Cost $180.  with a guarantee  that the new ethanol gas will not hurt it.  It has been stored 45 years and I have been working on it the last four.  It now has plain gas no ethanol in the tank runs great.  Lee . ps he had the tank for 2 weeks.

Most radiator shops should be able to get your tank cleaned.

With something like vinegar you will need to let it steep for a few days but is more for etching.. Acetone or other stronger petroleum  solvents should desolve your tarish varnish.

• Like 1

Don't laugh , but  along with a couple quarts of lacquer thinner and 3/4" stone, I stuck the whole thing in a cement mixer (tied down in there)

run for awhile then turned the tank around then a good soapy water wash. Perfect. 

sam