Operarating temperature

63 Red Riv

First warm day driving my car since the engine rebuild. Can someone tell me the correct operating temp on a 63 Riviera 401 325hp. I am running between 160F and 200F. After a good run and I shut it down the temp goes between 200F and 225F. Just wondering if this normal.

Thanks,

Brian

Brian, you didn't say what temp thermostat you installed and under what conditions you see 160 vs what conditions you see 200. Generally 200 is fine and heat soak will cause temp to spike on shutdown because circulation and cooling stop. Hard to speculate beyond that without more specifics.

The design and efficiency of the cooling system (including what's inside of the engine block) will strongly influence the ultimate operating temperature of the engine. Remember, too, the rated temp of the thermostat is when it opens, not when it's fully open per se. AND the cooling system being pressurized means the boiling point of the coolant is a good bit higher than what it would be in a non-pressurized system. I presume the fan clutch and fan shroud are operating "to specs"?

In general, the temperatures you mentioned seem to be "ball park". As long as it cools back down after the hot soak, I see nothing to get really excited about. You can also check the actual component temps with a non-contact infrared "heat gun", for good measure as some of the instrument panel gauges can have a little bit of "error" in their readings.

For good measure, check the coolant level in the COLD radiator to see if it looses any as things get more settled-in. Be careful NOT to over-fill from the factory recommendations/guidelines. This will also allow you to see how things are progressing with additional mileage accumulations.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

It's normal for a newly rebuilt engine to run a bit warm. All those new rings and bearings generate

more heat from friction as they wear in. Also, temp gauges are notorious for being "off" a bit.

This drives old car guys nuts sometimes…..!

I now carry a laser pointer-ed, infra-red thermometer when I go out in an old car. You can take

readings anywhere under the hood; radiator top and bottom, thermostat housing, cylinder heads,

etc…. A gauge that is only 10 degrees off on the high side will make you crazy on a hot summer drive!

<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/34f3a214/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Brian, you didn't say what temp thermostat you installed and under what conditions you see 160 vs what conditions you see 200. Generally 200 is fine and heat soak will cause temp to spike on shutdown because circulation and cooling stop. Hard to speculate beyond that without more specifics.

Good response John,

Tom Mooney

Thanks guys, I guess what I was most concerned about was the rise in temp after shutdown. I have only driven the car about 300 miles since I bought it and had the engine rebuilt. It came with the temp gauge so now I look at it wondering if I am going to overheat. I guess it will take awhile to feel confident driving it without thinking it will breakdown. As always I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks,

Brian