Dynaflow Creep

Guest 53 Roady

Guest 53 Roady

The 53 seems to work well now and I think the linkage is OK but...Will a 53 V8 have more neutral creep than a modern car?

Thanks

Pat

"Neutral creep" should not happen on any automatic transmission. There should be no driving force as all clutches, etc. should be fully released in both "N" and "P". I suspect the shift linkage works like a more modern vehicle . . . in that there is a shift detent in the steering column (which makes the lever stop at each position, needing to move it forward or such to get into certain shift level positions) AND one in the transmission that is more like "hills and valleys" which use a spring-loaded ball bearing to keep the lever (at the transmission) from moving on it own between shift positions.

With the car SECURELY on an overhead lift, you might want to disconnect the shift linkage at the transmission, then manually move THAT shift lever to a known "P" or "N" position, then reattach the lower linkage at that time, THEN adjust the upper linkage (at the steering column base) so what the shift level indicates matches where the lower level really is. Although I'm not sure how your shift lever mechanism is designed, but what you'd be doing is getting the transmission shift shaft positioned at a known position, then working backwards toward the steering column shift lever to ensure that everything is positioned where it needs to be.

It might be that with everything properly adjusted/positioned, with the rear wheels off the ground, with the foot brakes applied and then released with the shifter in "N", there might be enough parasitic "drag" between the released clutch items and internal transmission fluid that it might barely turn the rear wheels, but NOT enough to make the car "creep in gear" in "N".

For good measure, you might need to put some pressure gauges on the transmission to ensure that the "apply" pressures are appropriate for the gear shift positions. I would think that should be a "last resort" sort of thing. If some pressures are bleeding over between the valve body internal passages, it might indicate a problem with the valve body and/or gaskets/seals.

Pleas advise,

NTX5467

Willis, I challenge you to put your foot in front of my front tire and let me "goose it" in Park. You might be surprised to learn that all your fine 'splainin' doesn't mean much. TJ55

( There is fluid friction between the clutches and steels that does induce some "neutral creep" especially when throttled up quickly even when the clutch is completely released)

Edited by TexasJohn55 (see edit history)

Some Dynaflows seem to creep more than others. Even after all of the adjustments have been made. My Special won't creep at all. The wagon does. A 55 Special I had in here had the worst creep I have ever experienced. I replaced mounts and adjusted and readjusted the linkage numerous times. In the end, I told the owner not to have the car in neutral and gun it. Probably not a bad idea anyway.

IF the "neutral creep" is variable in nature, from car to car, AND if it's due to "fluid friction", might it be that if it has significant "neutral creep", then the clearances are on the "minimum spec" side of things OR somebody put 40W motor oil in the trans? If it's the first option, then a worn-out DynaFlow should not creep, but a "fresh one" would?

AND . . . if there's a rear pump involved, might IT be what's driving the rear wheels rather than the gear/clutch items in front of it, due to line pressure that might be a little too high? Remember . . . when automatic transmissions were redesigned to not need rear pumps, the ability to push-start the cars vanished at the same time?

Gotta be a reasonable engineering reason for that much power getting to the rear wheels when the rest of the gear train is not connected. Gotta be heck on the parking pawl too!

NTX5467

I am not saying that you have to stand on the brake, just that when revved in Park, the car will rock forward. Hard on parking pawl? Mine is more of a temporary surge and then subsides, don't think it will pull the car.

I don't understand about the rear pump causing power transmission.

Transmission fluid "accumulators" are usually ONLY in "fluid apply" circuits, not "lube pressure only" circuits (which is all that should be active when in "P" or "N".

At what pneumatic tire inflation pressure does "the creep" become most prevalent at?

Were those cars with "the creep" originally spec'd for San Francisco delivery?

NTX5467