Last car with mechanical brakes?

Restorer32

The last car with mechanical brakes was the English Ford Popular. First produced in 1933 as the Model Y, it was the first English Ford completely designed in house at Dagenham-on-the-Ditch. About 1938/39 it became the Anglia, then in 1952 the Popular. It was produced until 1962. Throughout its 29 year history the mechanics of the car never changed on the home market. It had a beam front axle, mechanical brakes and thermosyphon cooling in 1933 and still did in 1962. It got one styling upgrade when it became the Anglia and stayed that way till the end. It was the first British car to sell for £100 new in 1935.

Terry

Up until a few years ago cable or mechanical brakes had a bad connotation, to me. However, after going through the brakes on the '33 Continental and now the '39 Steyr they really aren't so bad. In fact, they certainly have some advantages over hydraulic brakes. Properly maintained they probably have the same safety record, the operative words being "properly maintained". Mechanical brakes don't have the problem of bursting brake lines that leaves you with only emergency brakes nor are there any cylinders to rust up from brake fluid being hygroscopic.

Interestingly, the two systems I've work on are quite different. The '33 Continental Flyer has Steeldraulic brakes which has individual cables leading to 4 levers. Each wheel has to be adjusted individually, and that can be a real PITA.

The Steyr has basically two cables with equalizer rollers. Working properly, I think that is the superior system. If you were to lose one cable the car would stop straight in the Steyr. Losing one cable, especial front, would do very bad things to trying to keep the '33 Continental going straight.