The wheels on the '53 Super go round and ro-Doh!

WillBilly53

So I was taking my '53 Super for a cruise after addressing some engine woes. She was doing awesome and driving superb until I almost got home and noticed some play in the steering wheel and then I heard a wobble in one of the back wheels. As I was pulling of the side of the road, I was just about stopped and the back driver's side wheel fell off. The rear fender caught the wheel and help break the fall. Unfortunately the hubcap is crinkled too. When I pulled the hubcap off, all the lugs were out and having a party in the hubcap. The lugs were not broken, but were very hot and some of the threads were marred towards the tips. Not really stripped, but marred to where I couldn't get a couple even started. I jacked the car up and managed to get three lugs in to limp her home. Upon further inspection I notice the guide pin had broken off as well. Any idea what could have caused this? Could I have adjusted the rear drums too tight? Could I have tightened the lugs too much?

Somebody :rolleyes: forgot to tighten them. On the driver side they will loosen in just a few miles if not tight. That is why some cars have reverse threads on that side. It happened to me once after a visit to the tire shop for new tires, but this time at 60mph. It tore up a front fender and I lost all the lug nuts, so I had to 'borrow' some from the other 3 wheels. The tire shop blamed it on the newly painted rims I supplied, even after I explained that ALL the lugs were loose.

Willie

Nobody likes loose nuts. I can't tell you how many times I torque the lug nuts with a torque wrench on my wife Mountaineer only to have them loose after a few miles of driving. It is the only vehicle I have owned that does this.

The guide pin is not that important to the correct function of the wheel/tire/axle combination. In short, don't worry about the guide pin. Keep your lug nuts tight. As far as the torque pounds. Keep tightening until they stop coming loose. ;) I think the torque is good at 75-80 foot pounds.

Is that the wheel Lamar had off when he was helping you get it running the first time? HeHe!:rolleyes:
Ha-Ha! That dang Lamar! ;)What is the correct torque for lug nuts? I couldn't find any info in either my '53 or '52 manual.

Dang it Will, don't you remember, we didn't think the rear wheels were grounded good thus making the engine not fire so we pulled the wheels and cleaned all the lug bolts so they'd make better contact. You were putting the wheels back on when I left.

You don't need it. You can replace it with a 5/16" x 3/4" grade 8 bolt.

Somebody is going to see this and offer one up. Take em uo on it, but it doesn't have to happen immediately.

Oh, and tighten your lug bolts :D

alright, I'll put my big boy pants on and give it some torque. Hopefully my scrawny butt and get 'em on tight enough. I'll take it around the block a few times and keep checking the bolts.

Drive Naomi over, I haven't seen her since the wedding. There may be a bolt on something down in the pasture. Bring your hammer and nail apron.

Dang it Will, don't you remember, we didn't think the rear wheels were grounded good thus making the engine not fire so we pulled the wheels and cleaned all the lug bolts so they'd make better contact. You were putting the wheels back on when I left.

Drive Naomi over, I haven't seen her since the wedding. There may be a bolt on something down in the pasture. Bring your hammer and nail apron.

It crossed my mind the other day when I was driving her around town, but then that wheel popped off and I got gun shy. I'm gonna tune her up tomorrow and maybe swing by on Sunday. You gonna be around?