Overcoatung Epoxy Primer

Peter S

I'm planning to overcoat the epoxy primer on my recently-sandblasted interior floors with something that will be more scratch-resistant and waterproof. Does anybody have recommendations? I will probably apply it by brush, as I lack a powerful compressor and spraying gets frustrating. Besides, nobody will see my floors once the carpet is down.

Peter S.

I'm planning to overcoat the epoxy primer on my recently-sandblasted interior floors with something that will be more scratch-resistant and waterproof. Does anybody have recommendations? I will probably apply it by brush, as I lack a powerful compressor and spraying gets frustrating. Besides, nobody will see my floors once the carpet is down.

Peter S.

Um, nobody will see the floors once the carpet is down, so what is going to scratch them? I wouldn't waste my time with any coating over the primer. In fact, I'd put down self-stick sound deadener material instead - no scratching, no spraying, less noise, and less heat.

Epoxy primer is pretty tough and resists scratches as long as it was applied properly and thick enough. Anything applied over it would require sanding for adhesion purposes.

As long as you keep the tigers and lions out of the car I don't think you will have a problem.

I thought the epoxy primer was a moisture barrier itself. Is that not it's purpose?

It is, but standing water deteriorates it. My concern with the floor is also that moisture from shoes, leaky windows, open vents, can soak through the carpet and accumulate. My Hudson stepdown, there are terrible moisture traps where the floor attaches to the bottom of the frame rail. (I'm very lucky that my car spent most of its life in the dry west.) I'm also a ways from being ready to lay carpet, so I'm pretty paranoid about scratching through the primer and getting rust spots going, altho it is quite a tough finish.

Peter S.

I rarely drive my old cars on the rain and I keep all of them in doors.

So I don't worry much about what might happen due to rain and accumulation of water on the floors. If it gets wet I will dry it out with the windows down and a fan blowing, or maybe pull the carpets. But this rarely happens.

If you have a collectable car and no place to keep it you have put the cart before the horse.