On the road again...

jimy

Well, it has been a long wait, but my great-grandfather's 1935 Dodge pickup is back on the road for the first time since the early 1950's. He had a vegetable farm in Maine, NY and the primary use of the truck was to deliver vegetables to cafeterias for the Endicott-Johnson shoe factories in the Binghamton NY area. I believe these "cafeterias" commonly fed entire families, not just the workers. He passed away in 1958 so I never met him. My dad has memories of learning to drive it in the fields and my (younger) uncle recalls getting some rides.

I believe my uncle was given the truck by his grandmother in the early to mid 60's. He did get it running at that point and ran it around the neighborhood a couple of times. He never got around to restoring it like he wanted, and my cousin (his son) didn't see it happening for him either. So I was deemed "most likely to restore". I am somewhat capable of the job, but given a history of some unfinished projects I decided to hire the job out. Well, that ended up taking about 12 years - but that is likely quicker that I would have managed!

So the truck was delivered a few weeks ago and we have perhaps 75 miles on it - not too bad considering the early winter we are getting here. It was a lot of fun showing it and giving rides to my dad and uncle. I drove it to my uncles for a surprise and ended up being surprised myself. My aunts 97 year old father has just moved in with them and I learned he knew my great-grandfather very well, had delivered vegetables in the truck himself several times, and he was very happy to see the old truck again. I was thrilled to be able to give him a ride.

I've never driven anything older than 1959, so driving this has been a bit of an adjustment. Definitely a slower pace than I am used to. The last standard shift I owned was a Miata so it takes a very conscious effort to slow my shifting down.

There are a few bugs to be worked out on it, which is fine with me - I need to have my fingers in this too. I have added rear turn signals which should make me a little more relaxed driving it. I will be down in the Dodge forums asking questions soon...

I have included an old "before" picture and then a few from the other day...

d0.jpg

d1.jpg

d2.jpg

d3.jpg

Jim

Edited by jimy
added links to new pics (see edit history)