Post a car that you own or sold that was a prototype..

nick8086

Post a car that you own or sold that was a prototype..

I found this one: From a kaiser meet in the 80's..

Not a Cheetah Prototype..

Only two made...???

Famed coachbuilder Ray Dietrich turned some Kaiser coupes into convertible proposals, including this one. It was among the prettiest 1952-1955 Kaiser concept cars.

©2007 Publications International, Ltd.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1940s-and-1950s-kaiser-frazer-concept-cars2.htm

post-97742-143142816501_thumb.jpg

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

pontiac in 1951-1952 built 23 production prototypes of the 1953 model with the new 287 strato streak V8 engine, none of those 23 cars survived to be in the hands of private ownership. as a tribute to those 23 cars, i'm converting my 1953 pontiac chieftain custom catalina into a prototype. when finished, my car will also be a rolling showroom of pontiac and general motors options and accessories, the car has more options and accessories than any other pontiac.

charles l. coker

1953 pontiac tech advisor

tech advisor coordinator

poci

Not really a prototype but one of 100 that were built because Shelby needed to produce 100 of these in order to get homologation papers for eligibility to race in SCCA races, a job they were very good at! Enjoyed bringing #059 back from the dead from 1973-80 as it had been a very thrashed drag racer. Wish I still had it.

post-33891-143142816656_thumb.jpgHoward Dennis

My Dad had a one of three. One of the factory prototypes for the Chrysler New Yorker 5th Avenue....had LeBaron grille surround and taillights. The number on the firewall was FXE003 and according to my Dad was a factory experimental car. There were a lot of odd things like holes not lining up for trim and odd stuff from other makes included. Dad said there were three made. One was maroon, one was silver and my Dad's was dark blue. Since my Dad was a Chrysler executive, I never doubted his word about the car.

Guest Nancy DeWitt

I think the 1898 Hay Motor Vehicle in our museum qualifies as a prototype. Inventor Walter Hay certainly intended to make more, but he had a falling out with his funder, Emerson Hotchkiss, before he could work out the kinks in his flawed 4-cylinder, 8-cycle, engine design and produce more. Interestingly, Hay's granddaughter believes at least two more of these automobiles were made and driven, but we have found no evidence that Walter Hay made more than one, and we certainly can't get this one to run without eating itself alive.

post-58418-143142817632_thumb.jpg

We're curious if this is the oldest American-made, 4-cylinder, gasoline-powered car still known to survive?

• 2 weeks later...