Parting out 1986 LeSabre Sesquicentennial - Need Advice

Guest Jmass0

First time poster, little knowledge about this older Buick coupe I have.

I inherited this beautiful '86 LeSabre Sesquicentennial a few years ago. Less than 75,000 miles, rebuilt engine with less than 10,000 miles on it, garaged, everything except the heat worked. Unfortunately it got tagged in a parking lot and the right side door is now inoperable.

I'm now looking to part it out if at all possible, really hoping that there may be some restoration interest somewhere. I have zero experience parting out a car and would love any tips or feedback ya'll can provide.

Thanks!

Parting out a car is not fun unless it's your business. You have to have the patience to wait years for it all to eventually be gone. You need somewhere to let it sit and stew while the occasional tire kicker wants to possibly take something, but usually not. Assuming it runs, you need to keep that part up in order to show it to potential buyers. The car ends up in pieces.

Selling it as one unit is better, unless you have this extreme patience.

Also, there aren't that many people restoring 1986 LeSabres, at least not yet, since they aren't that old.

I think I've heard of a Sesquicentennial edition--did the car come from a Texas dealer? Texas had its sesquicentennial in 1986, which is the reason I ask. I don't think the sesquicentennial edition was a nationally available model. You have a rare car, but I'm thinking it was an add-on package from a large Buick dealer (in Texas?), rather than a factory-made special edition, but I could be wrong. I'm no expert on these later model Buicks. Can you post a photo of it?

Wouldn't it be less hassle to just replace the door or take the door off and repair the one you have?

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

How bad can the damaged right side door be from a p-lot hit? If it were a T-boned at an intersection I could understand the not wanting to repair it. As well stated by Pete above they are not that old and there are not a lot of them being restored as of yet. Unless you have a place to store it while deconstructing it and loads of time and patients my advice would be to sell it wholly intact if possible. Otherwise you wind up with a yard ornament which begins to start looking badly sooner that you think. Good Luck which ever way you decide to go.

Seems like I didn't fully understand what I was asking for with the 'parting out'. Essentially I've been quoted ~$200 for the car, but I know that the engine alone could be sold for more than that. This is what led me to wanting to sell the car for certain parts. I agree that parting out the entire car is not a good solution for my situation.

Yes, this car was from a Texas dealer and is the 'Texas' special edition. Has the sesquicentennial emblem on the seats and everything. I only have photos of the door damage to post right now. Basically I just don't want to spend the money to fix it because it is no longer a daily driver car and I'm running out of reasons to keep it.

http://imgur.com/BQ6lQy4

http://imgur.com/qqHgwXK

post-103383-143142737199_thumb.png

post-103383-143142737205_thumb.png

In reality, the car is worth MORE in one piece and operating "as designed", mileage considered.

The Texas Ses edition was a real production option. A "local marketing group" sort of regional availability situation. A "commemorative edition", of sorts. Certainly not a "dealer-installed option", considering the special upholstery and all. Similar in concept to the Olympics Edition LeSabres Buick did one year. Unfortunately, "rarity" does not always equate to "higher prices", in all cases.

The cars were good cars, back then, and can still provide comfortable, reliable, and economical service in our modern times. Certainly not a 300+ horsepower screamer, but "adequate", nonetheless. As mentioned, the "parting out" situation can take time to realize any real profits, not to mention the "where it is" and "when is it going to be GONE?" situations. To make it profitable, you'd need somebody with a reasonably exact "same car" that wanted your parts. Otherwise, it's "back yard art".

The LeSabre coupes were not that common, with the vast majority of similar LeSabres being 4-dr sedans. ALL had the same powertrains, with only one chassis upgrade package, so the differences were in interior trim and exterior colors.

Another option, since you've already registered on here, is the "For Sale" postings. At least that way, Buick-oriented people will see it.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467