ROA NATIONAL COLORADO SPRINGS

Mr Riviera

Here is some pics from the National . Some are not the best but memorable moments for all . Click on the link , click on slide show / upper right - sound on and go to full screen . Best of Show - 65 GS modified with 64 inst. panel - owned by my good friend , Hardy Rawle from Houston . Hope you enjoy - http://albums.phanfare.com/isolated/dHuRGfig/1/6576621

Guest wildcat465

Thank you for the link to the pictures Dick. Too bad I had to miss it.

See you in Portland, unless I have more nightmares.

St. Charles, Il

Rock On

gord

Venue for the 2015 meet is here.

http://pheasantrun.com/

Thanks for the great pics Dick.

Heres a my link to registration cards matched with cars. I know Photobucket isn't the best but it will have to do for now.

http://s1064.photobucket.com/user/mark8man/library/ROA%20Colorado%20Springs%202014

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

Guest clamshells
2016 will return us to the East. Places with a "WOW" factor are being researched.

I suppose better to make it without my car than to miss all the cars and wine :-P

I suppose better to make it without my car than to miss all the cars and wine :-P

There were lots of ROA members at the event in Colo Sprgs who came without a car. Later, when the numbers are released, I'll post the number of cars vs. the number of guests for dinner. Plus there were many, many members who came alone without a guest. I'll see if I can't find out how many registrants there were. That would give a more accurate idea of how many members were there then that number can be compared to the number of cars.

Because of the makeup of the ROA, you probably wouldn't be surprised to know that many members come to see friend, rather than to look at cars. Cars become secondary after a while. Hard to believe, but it's true.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Here's the update I said that I'd try to get.

129 registrants, 62 cars including Toronados (4 or 5), and 211 for the banquet - members and guests. More that half of the members came without a car. You'd think that the gentleman from Nova Scotia would have won the long distance traveled award, but he got beat out by two others; one from France and one from Germany.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Chicago will have twice as many cars as Colorado Springs. Historically, the meets in what I refer to as the industrial northeast, have the greatest turn outs. The guys who live in Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Illinois love to drive their cars. And they drive some really nice cars. Historically, even though there are more ROA members in California than any other state, the meets we have in California have the smallest turnouts. Go figure???

Guest lemmy-67

Wow, I thought we had more cars than in 2012 at Monterey. I guess I was off by a dozen or so.

Even though there are a lot of ROA members in California, there's a lot of car clubs in general for the state. Most folks I know with classic cars are in some kind of Ford/Chevy/Mopar club, with the occasional Volvo or Porsche. Buicks are a bit more off the beaten trail. Even though it's sunny all year and a perfect environment for preserving/restoring a classic, it took me 16 years to get mine even presentable enough for a show. In all, I actually like owning a vehicle which isn't so prominent on the radar, and has its own unique distinction.

The meet was a great time, and I'm looking forward to the next one. Gotta get the A/C fixed before then!

I went back through my old emails and here's what I came up with for some of the previous meets:

2012 - Monterey,CA - 84 members registered, 142 attending the Banquet, 60 cars.

2013 - Lexington, KY - 188 members registered, 326 at the Banquet, 150 cars.

I don't have any emails that go back as far as 2010 or 2011 so I can't give any numbers on those. But if I can envision the number of cars that I saw, I would say that there were more cars at Hershey in 2010 than there were in Lexington. Galena in 2008 had a lot of cars as well. Perhaps someone can complete the numbers for California in 2009, which I did not attend, and fill in the numbers for 2008 and 2011 in Branson.

Lemmy, You're going to have to get a cattle prod and visit your buds in California.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Guest lemmy-67
2016 will return us to the East. Places with a "WOW" factor are being researched.

How about Fairport, NY? It's right on the Erie canal, with lots of cool landscapes and places to cruise.

Hey Len,

I was great seeing you and the 67 which looked as good as ever. Congrats on your award! Awesome you drove from Cali.

Likewise it was inspiring to see the number of people who drove their Rivs long distance risking any number of potential incidents, perhaps some discomfort, and high fuel prices along the way. Looking at some of these cars one would never expect they were driven so far due to the exceptional condition. Every year its proven over and over that these cars can stay in top condition without being kept in a sealed garage. In my opinion no award can replace the grand experience and adventuous spirit it takes to drive these cars to a meet. Take a look at just a few examples in the Winner Circle cars. Gene Pike and his 71, Florie and Ted Mielke in their 67, Galen Shields 65, and Garry Mintz in the awesome 75 from Ontario. All those cars get driven across the country to various meets and are in beautiful condition.

Sure, Ed. I'll saddle up my horse & herd 'em all East for next June.;)

I meant prod them into attending when it's close to them. I love California. Make me want to come back with one of my Rivs. We were going to drive in 2012, but Linda had a conflict with the National Debate and Forensics tournament schedule so we had to fly so she could get back home.

Ed

Guest lemmy-67

Most definitely: next meet near me I'll rustle up as many locals as I can.

I will say, though, driving long distances to get to the meet is a blast in my '67. It brings back a lot of good memories of cross-country trips I've taken over the years, and sailing through the countryside with 360 horses at your feet was truly memorable.