Anymore nice 63-64 drivers for under 10 grand

MrEarl

Any possibility of finding a very nice 63-64 driver for under 10 grand these days? By very nice I mean no rust, good paint (either original or good repaint), no major wear or rips or tears in a correct interior and in good mechanical condition (ie safe and dependable for say a 2000 mile road trip)

just curious....

Yes, although you might have to buy 50 of them and be ready to sell the ones that don't meet your expectation once you get it home.

Over the years I have found that when I buy a car, I go through the mechanical systems and rebuild a lot of reliability into a car. Cosmetics never were a huge priority. If a situation came up where I had to sell the car it was reliable and cosmetically a no sale.

In today's market I think you will find a lot of cosmetic frump jobs that were purchased by inexperienced early retirees. "Please, Dear, it's only a small amount of the investment program." A lot of those cars are resting in garages, some limping around the streets and selling at fire sale prices. I always figure no purchase can be a total loss. You can always sell what you don't like or want. For the past 20 years or so I have "risk managed" about $3,000 per year in loss on hobby stuff. That's the limit I am willing to take a beating on and still be responsible to the wife and kids. I think I'm ahead.

So the cars are out there. Looking for reliability and appearance increases the risk. Be conscious of your risk limits, use good judgement, and be willing to unload what you don't like.

I'll take a flyer any time. Last night this Craigslist special spent its first night in my garage. If you see it on Ebay you'll know it didn't meet my expectations.

post-46237-143142583344_thumb.jpg Bernie

OHHHH, did y'all think I am looking to buy one. Nahhhhhhh, like I said, just curious as to whether they can still be found for under 10 g's

Actually though, when I bought the black on black 93 Rivi (which btw Gerald, I sold to someone in Savannah) I was really wanting a first gen Rivi. Funds not available. And truth be known... I have wanted a first gen Rivi ever since my senior year in high school when my best friends older sister had a beautiful Rose Mist 63. Also that year a couple of friends and I went to Atlanta looking at new 67 Chevelle's and there was a black 64 Rivi trade in that I fell in love with. But peer pressure caused me to end up with a black on black '67 Chevelle SS 396 4 speed with posi traction. Ended up totaling it out in a sharp curve one night. leaving two front in the steering wheel, joined the Marines and that was that. "Yeth ther, the private lost his teeth while chathing thom girls, ther." So I just keep coming back to wanting that Rivi. A black on black 64, if it is out there. But will have to sell a 54 in order to buy it so it is going to have to be just what I am looking for. And I am in no hurry. Will it ever happen? we will just have to see.

A little tough to find under $10k in the condition you mentioned but they do turn up occasionaly. Bump up to $12k and you start to get more availability. One would need to be patient and do some networking in the Riviera world to increase possibilities of finding one. A 2000 mile road trip requires a pretty well maintained car. Over the past couple years I have seen a handfull of 63-64s for 10k or under that were real beauties. Maybe not meeting everyone of your criteria but could with minimal work and cost.

Thanks for the insight Jason. Yea, I have increased my networking of first gens lately and with my budget I see it is going to be more difficult than I thought. And I also realize that it will become even more difficult with time. However I don't think I will be in the true market for at least a year or so. But I'm figurin there is probably somebody out there who is just starting to think about selling and if I get the word out then maybe we can come together when the time is right. I have also started pondering which one of the '54's to sell in order to make it happen. That ain't easy. So if y'all would just keep me in mind over the next few months, I'd be much obliged. buba.gif

Lamar,

Shell out the $30 for the ROA membership so you can catch the classifieds in each issue. The ROA's website also has a classified section; here's the link to the "public" side of things. There's also a member's only link for newly listed cars. Those cars, if not sold, become part of the public side the next month.

Link to the current public side as of July 1, 2014.

http://rivowners.org/classifieds/index.htm

There are a couple on there that might hold some promise depending on your skill sets.

Ed

Guest wildcat465
Lamar,

Shell out the $30 for the ROA membership so you can catch the classifieds in each issue. The ROA's website also has a classified section; here's the link to the "public" side of things. There's also a member's only link for newly listed cars. Those cars, if not sold, become part of the public side the next month.

Yeah, Lamar.

post-42002-143142589821_thumb.jpg

Join the club BEFORE you buy the car and use all the club resources to buy the best car for your money. If you buy the car and then join the club you might go to the first meeting and hear someone say "Oh, you bought THAT car.".

That was the advice I got in 1994 when I was thinking about an expensive British car. A few weeks ago the person who gave the advice rode out of my driveway in my Impala SS. I told him I had chosen that car over a Silver Spur. He just said "You are a smart man." I thanked him for the 20 year old advice.

Bernie