What to offer for a 1950 model 46 needing everything

Pete Phillips

A friend of mine in the neighboring town died a couple of years ago. He left a 1950 Special 2-dr. sedan fastback, black, 3-speed stick, unrestored, that was his father's car. The car has been sitting in his barn untouched. He would drive it maybe once or twice a year to a local old car event, and then put it away. Has been a northeast Texas car since new, so not much rust, but it needs everything else, I think. He began to restore it before he died; stripped all of the trim off, completed the body work on the minor dents, and that's as far as he got. I saw it right after he died and it needed the entire interior redone, needed paint (was in primer), needed the chrome replated, and it probably needs new wiring if it is a typical 1950 Buick from a southern state. It may not need much engine work, because it ran pretty well when he did drive it. He was a pretty good mechanic, so he may have already rebuilt the engine, I don't know. His widow called me today and asked if I was interested in the car, and would l like to come look at it again. What should I offer her for this car? I'm thinking $2000, maybe less. She probably thinks it is worth a lot more, thanks to Barrett-Jackson auction prices that make every old car owner think they own gold. She's a very sweet lady, and I want to do right by her, but I do not want to pay too much and get stuck. I will try to take photos tomorrow and post them after I look at the car. It's a desirable body style and the 3-speed in one of these gives very responsive performance. I remember that a couple of the grille teeth had dents but the rest of the front grille was in pretty nice shape. All of the glass is in place and in good shape. I think the car is complete, but it was hard to tell with so much other stuff stored in the barn. I'll ask for more opinions when I post photos later tomorrow.

Pete Phillips, BCa #7338

Leonard, Tx.

Touchy situation for sure...

You may want to mention that because it's disassembled, it's worth less. Maybe ask her what she wants for it and see what she says?

I'm always amazed at how inexpensive these beautiful 40s and 50s Buicks are (not parts!). Even in nice #3 driver shape, that car probably wouldn't be worth more than $10,000 or so, and you might sit on it a while at that. I think you're right on the money...maybe $2500 if you want to be a nice guy. Still, I don't think you'll come out ahead if you flip it. If the chrome is reasonable and you can get away without rechroming stuff, maybe.

Since you started the thread by saying this fellow was your friend, the adventure sounds like trouble. How do you effectively handle his widow becomes the issue here, not so much the price of the car. If she does have visions of gold then how do you let her down gently. But what if you go in offering more than what she wanted because he was your friend? I would pick a dollar amount that I was comfortable offering based on my friendship and the widows needs. Then I would try like crazy to have her make the first $$ guess, no matter the shape of the car.

In that situation I would sit down on the back step and talk with her about your friend and your thoughts about his car and putting it back together. Ask her what she would buy if she had a little extra money from selling the car; maybe living room furniture, a riding mower, a new roof for the garage, something focused that he would like and that she needs or wants. Then say "OK, I'll buy you one of those for the car and give you a little extra for yourself." If it costs $1400 or $2800 the price is not going to make a difference to either of you. You have just made one of many decisions a little easier and friendly.

Bernie

Hi,

Unless you really want the car, my advice is not to offer to buy it. Help the widow set the car up on Ebay or Craig's List and let the market determine the price. If she sets a reserve and no one meets it, the car will be available for you to buy with a market-place idea of its true worth, which will make you both happy with the deal.

General Rule: Never buy a car from a friend--or a friend's widow.

--Tom

Thanks, all , for the advice. Went to see the car today. It can barely be seen due to all the other stuff stored in the barn. The body is perfect, interior has been redone with incorrect black fluted vinyl but is in very good shape. Parking light housings and rear back-up light housings are in great shape. However, I was informed, during my visit, that the lady's daughter wants the car, and so she has suddenly decided not to sell. I don't think there are any plans for it, so there it will sit. Something tells me that I may end up with it eventually...

Flat glass has some cracks, but the curved glass is good.

post-32059-143142573922_thumb.jpg

post-32059-143142573931_thumb.jpg

post-32059-143142573939_thumb.jpg

post-32059-143142573947_thumb.jpg

post-32059-143142573922_thumb.jpg

post-32059-143142573931_thumb.jpg

post-32059-143142573939_thumb.jpg

post-32059-143142573947_thumb.jpg