bought 73 Regal original one owner car

Buick Regal GS

I bought a 73 Regal original one owner car 46000 miles ,,car has original tires G78 14 need to get new tires and all the tire companys want to sell me Hancook tires. Car has Goodyear G78 14 rims with wire wheels. Will the Hancook tires hurt when being judged in Buick shows?

Nice car, and no, the Hankooks won't hurt you. Buick club judging recognizes that certain items must be replaced for the car to be driven. Just get the same size tire or check the BCA site for the judging manual. The possible deduction may not be small enough that if you wanted to go with different tires , you still could.

thanks for the info i was looking at a junk yard this morning for 15 in rims and he said if i change size it will effect speedometer is that right? and what if i put 14 in Buick rally wheels will that affect points? wernt rallys a option? thank for any info

There are tire calculators on line that will show you differences in mph based on tire sizes. You can adjust the size of the tire you're looking for to match what you have. I would think that if you're concerned about judging, the 15" tires/wheels would be a bigger concern than the radials. Plus, you'd have to find different wheel covers to go on the 15" wheel and the replacement wheel covers would not be correct either.

I bought a new '73 Century Luxus cpe. and when I had to replace tires, I went with radials. Man, what a difference in ride and handling.

Ed

thanks for the info ill get the Hancooks,i work at a Buick dealership here in Avon,Oh so i get a discount,,what about the Rally wheels,the car now has wire covers,thought it woould look sharp with Buick rallys would that hurt originality, with points?

Guest wildcat465

The rallys were available on your Regal when new = no deduction. Judges will probably really only pick at a whitewall width, if it does not have the "right" look to it. Nobody on my teams carries a tape measure.

Keep in mind that there are three categories for BCA judging. A driven award is the least intensive. Basically you drive it from where it is to the meet, drive it all the way and not have any modifications that are not period correct. That would be something like putting A/C in a 36 Buick.

400 point is where the car is original, or restored, or being restored. This is the most intensive. The standard is how close the car is to the day it was delivered from the factory. There is no reduction for wear items or for over restoring a car. But it would probably deduct for the 15 " rims. It would also deduct for the dual exhaust if you had it. But it would not deduct for replacing the exhaust if you kept the original configuration. In this category, original metrics count as much as workmanship and quality.

Archival is the last category and here the car is judges by how much of it contains it's original parts. Again, no deduction for maintenance items, tires and exhaust for example. Also no deduction for condition. For example: if your front fender has a dent in it, and it is not repaired, but it is original, there would be less deduction than if you repaired that fender. Here, changing from the steel wheels and hubcaps could cost you points.

The main thing to realize though is that BCA judging is lenient. Judges are always taught to not kill the car. Under side judging is done from a one knee down approach. No judge should be crawling under your car. Judges will spend roughly 10 minutes reviewing their part of your car. And questions about what they see are referred to you through the team captain and that is where you have a chance to explain the issue.

Since many years the fit and finish was not laser quality, you do not need a pristine car to win an award. And since you are being judged against a stated standard, you are not being judged against the car next to you. Potentially every judged car can win a top quality award in it's class. So, if judging and awards are important to you I would recommend you review the judging manual on the BCA web site and determine which class you want to "compete " in before making any changes.

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)