air conditioning

Guest mardigrasvet

Guest mardigrasvet

have a 1947 chrysler new yorker and driving it in florida summers is impossible. any ac tips would be appreciated such as places to buy such things if they exist. thanks.

A 6 volt compressor clutch is going to br the big fly in the ointment. You'll need to source a compressor from an early, A/C equipped car. I know there were kits for VWs, but I'm sure they're not falling off of the shelves at the junkyards. The other option is to convert the car to 12 volt, but that requires some modifications that raise the hackles of the purists. At least a 12 volt conversion is not permanent, and the car can be returned to original easily, if desired

You CAN go PARTIALLY to 12-Volt:

1. Place a pair of 6-Volt Optima batteries in the battery tray and wire them in SERIES

2. Replace the generator with a 12-Volt Alternator

3. Run the entire car from the post of the FIRST BATTERY - your car is still running on 6-VOLT

4. Take the lead from the SECOND BATTERY giving 12-VOLTs to run your A/C, radio, cell phone charger, etc.

Starting in the 1930s there were air coolers that looked like a canister vacuum cleaner mounted on the roof above the passenger window. See the photo below for what they look like. They cool by evaporation as the car goes along. Something that like would be period correct. Of course it would not get as cold as a modern air conditioner, but then if that is what you want then why are you buying vintage autos?

post-95744-143142541426_thumb.jpg

Marty Roth's idea is a good one, for cars that have negative ground electrical systems. Chrysler uses positive ground. The only things I can think of off hand that are polarity sensitive are the ammeter, coil, and possibly radio. The ammeter and coil can be converted simply by reversing their connections. The radio, I am not sure. If the vibrator will work in reverse ok, if not you may need to change the vibrator.

So Rusty_OToole is saying that the Chrysler "could' actually be run as a Positive-ground car - if those conditions could be met..

Thanks Rusty, for the added information I should have included, but didn't

Guest Skyking
Marty Roth's idea is a good one, for cars that have negative ground electrical systems. Chrysler uses positive ground. The only things I can think of off hand that are polarity sensitive are the ammeter, coil, and possibly radio. The ammeter and coil can be converted simply by reversing their connections. The radio, I am not sure. If the vibrator will work in reverse ok, if not you may need to change the vibrator.

If the vibrator is transisterized, you need to change it. If not you can leave it.

Edited by Skyking
one word too many (see edit history)