'39 Buick pops out of 3rd gear....?

jvelde

Went on a club tour this weekend of about 400 miles in the '39 Buick and had the transmission pop out of gear a couple of times in 3rd. Happened when I was going downhill and let off the gas or there was no load on the gears. What should I be looking at to replace or repair? Any suggestions appreciated.

In my experience, that is almost always the front transmission going bad. Fixing it is no fun job. If that is the case, I'd replace the rear bearing too - and maybe even the clutch if you are into it that far.

I have never had the 2 to 3 synchronizer go bad.

Don

Don, thanks for the info - the 2nd to 3rd syncro has been an issue since I have had the car. Have to double clutch into 3rd to avoid clashing. When I got the car you had to double clutch into 2nd as well, but heavier gear oil has slowed 2nd down enough that it rarely chirps when shifting. Now the fun part is locating parts for the one year only transmission!

• 2 weeks later...

A bit late on this one John, don't come to technical very often.

Have you done the simple stuff like checking that the 2 springs and over centre clips that go on the selector shaft at side of box are there ???

It might also be worth checking that you don't have a broken detent spring. If you disconnect the rod to the lever on the change shaft and the clips and springs and clips mentioned above, you can feel if the detents are in fact engaging on not. This of course, won't help your syncro problems. The input shaft itself may still be OK and just need bearings. You should check the spigot bearing too if you have the box out. The input shafts turn up regularly on Ebay.

Danny

.. Happened when I was going downhill and let off the gas or there was no load on the gears...

Worth checking all the rubber engine and torque tube mounts. Are all those external transmission levers, rods and cables in good condition with no wear?

Guest gmorse

Good morning all,

The problem of the '39 (series 40) jumping out of gear in my case, was the spring clip that hold the throwout bearing sleeve in place.

When I first bought this car 15 years ago, that was the first item I was told to look for. The clip was missing in my case. Now, after saying that, I have had a lot of other experiences with the trans. itself. Mostly gear clashing when changing gears. I finally solved that issue after many tries, and much incorrect help. (Not from this board). I am planning to write a piece on these trans. problems, including what I found out about using a '40 thru '47 trans. in the '39.

I will try to finish it soon. (Maybe next month - I will be away for 2 weeks).

Gary

Gary

.. I am planning to write a piece on these trans. problems, including what I found out about using a '40 thru '47 trans. in the '39.

I will try to finish it soon. (Maybe next month - I will be away for 2 weeks).

I included you on my email because of your experience. Have meant to ask you for a long time (1~2 years) about the work needed to use a 1940 thru 1947 trans. in the 1939 series 40. Will be of great interest to many

Thanks to all - I have checked the external clips, springs and connections, and all seem to be okay. I will try to locate a '39 synchronizer for 2nd to 3rd gear, and if I can locate one, I'll check for other issues while installing the synchro. Till then I will keep my hand on the gear shift lever while in 3rd.

Check the thrust washers at either end of the countershaft. Excessive endplay will allow the countershaft to move fore and aft which will kick the trans out of gear.

Terry