new alternator

EUGENE

want to replace old alt/reg. with new alt. with internal regulator and keep charging light on my 63 riv non ac car did this years ago on a 66 impala with a one wire alt but forgot how I wired to keep charging light any help to make this easy thanks

There is also an inexpensive wiring conversion kit available that you connect to the external regulator, so you don't have to hack, splice, or cut the original wiring harness.

Your dash light will still function, and the adapter can be hidden under the wiring harness to maintain an original/stock appearance !

was going to use wire from light and resistor now on terminal 4 of voltage regulator and connect to #1 of new 2or 3 wire alt.and then connect #2 .and back screw on new alt.to bat. and disconnect rest of wiring neatly .What do you think?

Year One and others sell an alternator conversion harness that works very well and just a couple of minutes to install. https://www.yearone.com/Product/1964-72-skylark-gs/hu30

All you do is unplug the connector on the alternator and insert the short harness. Then unplug the voltage regulator and plug that harness onto the rubber plug that is part of this conversion. If you want your car to look stock, gut the existing voltage regulator and put the rectangular rubber plug and harness under the cover. I have done several of these with great success.

• 2 years later...
51 minutes ago, alini said:

Dug up this old thread, anyone know which internal regulated alternator bolts up to the engine well?

It has been a few years since I did this conversion but I`m very sure a `84-`85 alternator was the application I used. I cant remember what model this alternator is but a quick check of an era correct shop manual, or some digging on the net will yield the correct model number. This alternator is capable of over 100 amps at full output (versus 55 to 65 for the original) and will bolt in with no mods. Just be sure to wire the voltage sensing wire "upstream" in the electrical circuit so you bump the voltage a little on the high side at the battery. Not very specific but will get you going in the right direction,

Tom Mooney

The Year One kit is similar to the one I used when I went to an internally regulated alternator - no cutting, splicing, or changing the original wiring harness.

Replaced a 43 amp. alternator with a 63 amp. rebuilt AC Delco unit. You can go for higher rated alternator if your running a monster music system, or electric fans. Google is your friend Chris, there is loads of info on the web, Just ensure the replacement unit is 'clocked' the same as your existing alternator. 

• 6 years later...