1957 Chevy 210 wagon tailgate, I can't get it open!

I just bought this 210 wagon and 1 of the rods from the inside latch to the handle is gone. I can't get my manly arm in the small access hole to reach it from inside, nor can I really see inside at all let alone how to unlatch the latch from inside. I won't go medieval on it.... yet.

How do I get this thing open without an axe and a prybar? :confused: :P

Yep, head over to Harbor Freight, get one of the two fiber-optic cameras they have for sale. I'd recommend the more expensive one, it has a 5/16" diameter end, with light and camera lens. It will fit through modern 14mm spark plug holes, and even through the small mid '30's Packard 10mm spark plug holes. The less expensive fiber optic camera has a 5/8" diameter light and lens. so it barely fits through the large 18 mm spark plug holes.

Then: make a temporary pull-rod, with the correct 'hook' or bent 90* end on it, tape the fiber optic flex cable to the rod so you can see the bent end, then feed the pair through the access hole, looking for the arm to feed the bent end of the rod through, then pull on it..

OR: hire some skinny guy to put HIS hand and arm into the access hole and pull on the lever.

GLong

The rod to the latch is not there to pull, and I'm sure there must be a way to manually unlatch it. It will be so much easier to repair in the open position.

I want to get it open so I can work on it from the outside and not have to crawl in the back. It's not that easy for me. I hope that someone has an exploded view of the mechanisms or the method to unlatch it so I can work on it.

I may have to invest in the camera, it'll be a good tool to have anyway.

Try looking for the exploded view of the tailgate on http://www.gmpartswiki.com. The search feature didn't work too well for me but I was able to scroll through the many pages. It may take some time to find the illustration you need.

After wasting a lot of time trying to figure out just how to find anything in that site I gave up. There is a lot of info in there but due to an EXTREMELY poorly designed site it is unusable. Very sad that their work is wasted.

I still have faith that somebody has the view or photos of the mechanics inside. I can't go by an expensive camera for this. There has to be somebody who had this problem before and know a way to release the latches. HELP!

I am thinking that your cell phone camera should be of help. They are small and if it you get the wrong view the pics are easy to delete.

If it doesn't have a flash then borrow one that does.

John, when attempting to do a difficult or impossible job, I pride myself on finding a way to do it . I would think that you would be especially proud to do it yourself.

I was suffering from a back problem once and could hardly move. I was in the middle of welding a car's frame back together. When I could get back to work, I had a helper lift me down into position under the car, and place the welder in my hand. I got the job done!

There is no better satisfaction than doing something that someone says it can not be done.

Sincerly, Roger

John, when attempting to do a difficult or impossible job, I pride myself on finding a way to do it . I would think that you would be especially proud to do it yourself.

I was suffering from a back problem once and could hardly move. I was in the middle of welding a car's frame back together. When I could get back to work, I had a helper lift me down into position under the car, and place the welder in my hand. I got the job done!

There is no better satisfaction than doing something that someone says it can not be done.

Sincerly, Roger

John doesn't say much but he is doing it from a wheelchair, which blows my mind that he is capable to do as much as he does. I wish I could do 1/10 of what he can do.

Terry (also in a wheelchair)

Terry - Thanks for the compliment!

Roger - Knowing you thru here I did take it as a positive. I have pretty thick skin so most things roll off my back. This picture shows what my friends and family are like to me. Leave 'em alone for 10 mins while I take the kids for an Amphicar ride and...

post-31565-143142525732_thumb.jpg

John, I have had that problem with pickup tailgates where the rod would come loose. I would take a screwdriver with a long thin blade and trip the latch to open the tailgate. Will the wagon let you do that? It happened to a new pickup I had. I took it back to the dealer, they claimed they fixed it and the next day it would not open. I suspect they did not fix it. I then took it to another dealer and they fixed it and I had no more trouble with it. I have no idea how they fixed it.

Have you tried Chevytalk.org ??? I had a '62 Bel Air and was left just about speechless by the depth of knowledge some of these people had. I think a request over there (you have to join - it's free) would work well.