1929 Dodge Truck = Questions??

http://r.ebay.com/wNPrLc

Have been looking at the 1929 (or so) truck on eBay. Interested in restoring and preserving this, but have never taken on anything this bad, or old! Was wondering if anyone out there has experience with these trucks, and any advice!

This is a very rough one.

There is a lot of wood to replace. They are simple shapes but you will need some good pattern pieces. It would be better to find one more complete.

This is a very rough one.

There is a lot of wood to replace. They are simple shapes but you will need some good pattern pieces. It would be better to find one more complete.

Thanks for your feedback. I am concerned with the condition and parts issues. Have been restoring a 1937, and that's hard enough! Appreciate your comments!!

Thanks for your feedback. I am concerned with the condition and parts issues. Have been restoring a 1937, and that's hard enough! Appreciate your comments!!

Great looking 37. I have found looking up the background and history of these trucks has been part of the adventure. This is a great web site to get information.

Have a good journey.

I have one of these I am working on now, mine is a little better but not much. They are a 1929 Plymouth from the cowl forward, as is the engine and transmission. The trucks have a water pump,, the cars do not. I have most of the wood for patterns. Email for more info if interested. rsorenson43@hotmail.com

How is the project coming? Hope to see some pictures soon.

post-84354-143142522578_thumb.jpg

How is the project coming? Hope to see some pictures soon.

I have the chassis, drive train, suspension, etc. all done. These photos are a little old as I have a few more parts bolted on! Working on the sheet metal and have a friend at a body shop helping me. Taking longer then hoped, but the price is right. We essentially did an every nut and bolt restoration so far. Got a bit carried away, but expect to have a factory fresh truck when done. Even had the parking brake handle (top portion) nickel plated as it was originally.

I am finishing up my gauge restoration, window regulator, and door remotes while waiting on the sheet metal. Seems like it's all down hill from here!

post-84354-143142522561_thumb.jpg

post-84354-143142522567_thumb.jpg

post-84354-143142522573_thumb.jpg

For those interested in this truck:

I had a few minutes yesterday morning and stopped in to look at it in person. This truck is beyond rough...

If it comes back up for sale be aware of the following. After spending a few minutes talking to the owner yesterday I know the last bid on ebay of $500 will not come close to buying the truck. I have no affiliation with the owner, I just wanted to pass along the info to others who I know appreciate the truck for it's history.

CONS:

Badly bent driveshaft, and I mean badly. Looks like it was dropped on a boulder, has a U shaped bend that raises up 10 inches in the middle.

Front fenders need replaced or major metal work if you wish to salvage

Running boards need replaced and the aprons are badly bent throughout

All the metal needs major, major work with some cancer coming through in areas

Wood is completely shot with no chance at patterns to go by

Engine is missing several key components and is rigged with some kind of galvanized pipe. No carb, water pump...

Spark plug holes open and filled to the brim with dirt and who knows what else

Fuel Vacuum tank is ate through completely at the bottom 1/4 of tank

Two front wood wheels looked beyond salvageable

No bumpers, hubcaps, door handles are shot and broken in pieces, just hanging by a thread

Some interior components are not salvageable (all handles, windshield wiper motor, gauges, steering components, no glass)

Radiator shell is toast and no emblem

PROS:

Stockton truck with legit frame # S114XXX

Seat frames are there and look complete and restorable

Steel diamond floor and pedals look complete and original

Transmission is complete and original

Rear end looks complete and original

Brake reservoir looks good

Radiator looks restorable but missing the brass ID tag on backside

Cab looks fairly straight and restorable

Windshield frame in good shape

Door and hinges are in good shape

Bed can be salvaged (although significant cancer in spots)

Silverdome 4 cylinder that may be salvageable

Hope that helps.

Vic ,

beautiful job on the 37 btw, looks great !:cool:

For those interested in this truck:

I had a few minutes yesterday morning and stopped in to look at it in person. This truck is beyond rough...

If it comes back up for sale be aware of the following. After spending a few minutes talking to the owner yesterday I know the last bid on ebay of $500 will not come close to buying the truck. I have no affiliation with the owner, I just wanted to pass along the info to others who I know appreciate the truck for it's history.

CONS:

Badly bent driveshaft, and I mean badly. Looks like it was dropped on a boulder, has a U shaped bend that raises up 10 inches in the middle.

Front fenders need replaced or major metal work if you wish to salvage

Running boards need replaced and the aprons are badly bent throughout

All the metal needs major, major work with some cancer coming through in areas

Wood is completely shot with no chance at patterns to go by

Engine is missing several key components and is rigged with some kind of galvanized pipe. No carb, water pump...

Spark plug holes open and filled to the brim with dirt and who knows what else

Fuel Vacuum tank is ate through completely at the bottom 1/4 of tank

Two front wood wheels looked beyond salvageable

No bumpers, hubcaps, door handles are shot and broken in pieces, just hanging by a thread

Some interior components are not salvageable (all handles, windshield wiper motor, gauges, steering components, no glass)

Radiator shell is toast and no emblem

PROS:

Stockton truck with legit frame # S114XXX

Seat frames are there and look complete and restorable

Steel diamond floor and pedals look complete and original

Transmission is complete and original

Rear end looks complete and original

Brake reservoir looks good

Radiator looks restorable but missing the brass ID tag on backside

Cab looks fairly straight and restorable

Windshield frame in good shape

Door and hinges are in good shape

Bed can be salvaged (although significant cancer in spots)

Silverdome 4 cylinder that may be salvageable

Hope that helps.

Vic ,

beautiful job on the 37 btw, looks great !:cool:

Thanks so much for the details. Seems like a long shot to bring this one back to life. Guess I'll concentrate on finishing the "37, and keep my eye out for a better 1929-30 model!

Appreciate everyone's feedback on this.