New TV ad for Buick

michel88

There is a new advertisement that is airing on TV that I think may be a bad strategy. The ad shows people near new Buicks and talking on cell phones. They say meet me outside, I am next to a Buick. The response is: I don't see a Buick! They imply that these new Buicks are nothing like the previous ones. Buick has a great tradition and this seems dismissive of past (and great) Buicks. It reminds me of the ads that Oldsmobile ran saying "It's not your fathers Olds". This never made sense to me considering the 49 Olds was such an advanced and trend setting car, as well as many other great Oldsmobile of the 50's, 60's and 70's. We all know what happened to Oldsmobile! What do you think of this new Buick advertisement?

Guest my3buicks

I don't care for it at all, but, most of the people don't remember or care about Buick glory days but they do remember Grandma's 1998 Century so the ad does have some merit. We Buick guys are a minuscule percentage of potential Buick buyers.

Back when LeSabre was winning the Malcolm Baldridge awards I recommended a new LeSabre to a secretary at an associates office. She said "Oh, no, I had a new Buick once and didn't care for it."

I asked what she had. "A 198X Skylark." Great job, GM! The ad should have top management and the senators whom engineered the cars kneeling and begging forgiveness. That's what they ingrained in the public mind.

Lunch time! I'm heading for a little diner out in the sticks in the '60.

Bernie

For the record, I hated the Olds ads! Period. At that time, there were many other ways to have gotten the "We're different now" message across via comparisons of the many engineering advances of Olds in the '40s-'60s, even the Dr. Olds character and his hot rod mutants, then compare them to the new Quad-4 powered Cutlass Calais of that time. They did totally ignore all of Olds great history of engineering innovation, which was a total shame. Must have

been a "young group" on the ad team?

As for the new Buick ad, I concur that it's witty and fun to watch, as people stumble over themselves looking for what they would term "Buick", only to find something different AND desireable instead. A more entertaining ad than the Lincoln "questions" ad series, which is more low-key and artificial.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

When the Olds ad came out I had a 1956 Olds 88 Holiday with a Super 88 engine as a daily driver. They were selling the bland LS at the time. Maybe I'll get one when they reach collector status.

I do remember the first time I saw an Olds Intrigue, about the same time. I walked around the car, looked it over carefully, and thought, this car makes me think of a girlfriend my Mother would pick out for me. Sorry, Mom, sorry Olds, sorry Buick mediocrity is for the masses.

We are taking off in the '60 Electra for a 150 mile ride around western New York to look at geological anomalies caused by the last Ice Age and have lunch. And when we drive by people they will say "There's a Buick."

Bernie

Drove about 150 miles, smooth, quiet, no vapor lock, and a good lunch overlooking the southern shore of ancient, glacial Lake Tonawanda.

Near the headwaters of Cattaraugus Creek, near Arcade, New York, we found the remains of 8 government issue, black, Tahoes SUV's apparently left from an extinction population who inhabited the area about 10,000 years ago. Some of the tailpipes were still intact and possily the cause of the recession of the Wisconsin Ice Sheet, nearly 2 kilometers thick.

Driving a 325 HP Buick with a Dynaflow is the only way to get a good view, as well as a roller coaster effect, from the higher elevations. Sunny, crystal clear, and no ice pack today.

We also surmised that any greenhouse gases or carbon footprint related to the construction of the car in 1960 have been incinerated during surface testing of nuclear devices during the 1960's, '70's, and '80's. A green trip in anyone's book; got about 16 MPG.

Bernie

... The response is: I don't see a Buick! ...
Didn't they quit making Buicks in the '60s?

The new so-called "Buicks" are some of the most boring, generic, ugly looking cars made. More like shiny turds. Not a one of them will become a classic.

At least the semi-vertical chromed plastic grilles can be imagined as a weak nod to the heritage.

I think the ads are trying to instill to the public that Buicks have changed and are not your stereotypical "old persons" car. The ads are trying to lower the demographics for younger buyers to take a look at Buick and I think they are doing a good job of that. Granted, styling and design will never be as impressive as in the past, but compared to other brands nowdays, I think Buick is doing a nice job with the designs. I like the line in the ads: "check out the 5 expectation shattering models, from Buick". I think they're right on track with the ads.

Guest my3buicks

WHEELNUT,

Many of us don't share your opinion, and I am sure many do. I suppose the owners of 30s Buicks said that about the Buicks of the 40s I suppose the Buick owners of the 40s said that about the Buicks of the 50s and so and so on and so on. I for one would be very proud to have any one of the new Buicks in my garage

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

Just yesterday a woman I know, who is not a car person per se, walked past our 2013 Regal GS and said, "That is really a nice car. The Buicks are really looking good lately". Then went and got into her Lexus.

I am certain this is directly related to Buick's recent advertising.

This, by the way, is not the first time I have been approached about this Regal. Folks young, and my own age as well. This car gets a LOT of interest