1955 Bumper Chrome Install Question

Paul Falabella

Just got chrome back and wondering if it is better to assemble the bumpers, brackets etc, and install? Or put the brackets on the car first?

Also I recall reading somewhere to leave some bolts off the mustache grill bar and lightly tighten the rest. True?

Any one had any luck with gold leaf? About the only items I didn't get done were the gold plated stuff.

Thanks.

For me assembling the bumper and brackets and then installing to the body worked well on all the cars I've done. Saves a lot of monkey motion and once the assembly is attached to the frame it's easy to loosen this or that for any need adjustments. I usually raise the assembly into position with the help of a bumper jack and my wife to help balance the bumper or pump the jack. Usually no more than 10/15 minutes and she's out-o-there. Seems to me I remember something in one of the manuals saying to leave one or two of the bar bolts out to prevent cracking but it's been awhile.

I don't think golf leaf is your answer. Totally different look, at least to me.............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

Actually one of the easiest operations. Assemble bumper/brackets on a pair of saw horses. Place on padded bumper jack. Raise into position. Place 4 bracket to frame bolts in holes. Dismiss helper and fasten/adjust/shim as needed...........Bob

For my 57, I used a 3 ton low profile jack with the assembled bumpers, and made a fixture from a 4 ft 2x6 with 2 ft 2x2 in the front and then attached a small piece of 2x2 right behind the bumper inside to hold in place. Put bumper and fixture (w/brackets attached) under car in position, then jacked it into position, put in bolts, and adjusted as necessary using the jack and a bit of hand finesse. Eliminates the need for a helper and uses the jack as a assist.

For my 57, I used a 3 ton low profile jack with the assembled bumpers, and made a fixture from a 4 ft 2x6 with 2 ft 2x2 in the front and then attached a small piece of 2x2 right behind the bumper inside to hold in place. Put bumper and fixture (w/brackets attached) under car in position, then jacked it into position, put in bolts, and adjusted as necessary using the jack and a bit of hand finesse. Eliminates the need for a helper and uses the jack as a assist.

Me too. Dan

I assemble mine completely off the car and so far have only had to shim between the brackets and the frame. My last install was super easy, since I found a new use for a transmission jack. Similar to Jim, but with only a 2x4 to keep the ends from rotating and the bumper centered on the jack. The tilt adjustments fine tuned it so that I only had to get down and under the car twice.

Willie

Tips: Before assembly check all the recessed areas for any yellow tint...that is nickel that did not get covered by chrome and will get worse. I even check those areas with a mild chrome polish on a white cloth...any black on the cloth means no chrome there.

If you have a stainless steel buffing kit, chuck the stainless steel screws in drill and with the drill turning apply to the buffing wheel...otherwise apply the screws in the turning drill to a mild polishing compound on some heavy cloth.

For about $70 new reflectors are available.

Willie