cigarette lighters and safety

rocky5517

My cig lighter ( 67 riv) doesn't work; although I'm not a smoker, there is a need for using that as a plug-in for misc accessories e.g. chargers,navigation etc.

Question; is there a safety factor to be considered trying to repair the socket, just inside the holder? It seems to me there's a lot of current running thru a 47 year old circuit.

If ii was a house instead of a car, I think the electrician would tell me to upgrade the whole system.

Rocky5517,

Not sure about '66, but in a '65 the cigar lighter runs through the ignition switch. So when powering a Garmin, satellite radio, cell phone charger, etc. it runs through the ignition switch and you may cook the switch and connector or worse you could start a fire. You may want to either run a separate circuit for your aux stuff off the battery, or use a small removeable/rechargeable 12 battery, separate from the cars system to run your aux stuff.

gord

A little off topic, but some cars had the cigar lighter very close to the ignition switch. I had one of these and the lighter itself was an optional item when new. Essentially the socket was there and it was left empty by the dealer if you didn't opt for it.

Image what could potentially happen when entering the vehicle on a dark night and trying to start it if you accidentally stuck the key in the lighter socket.

006.jpg

Just an FYI on this subject...the lighter circuit does not go thru the ignition switch. The circuit is wired HOT all the time. The only protection on this circuit, as described, is a fuse which mounts to the backside of the female part of the lighter assembly. DO NOT TRUST THE FACTORY FUSE!!!

I have observed MANY melted wiring harnesses in the first gen consoles over the years. Perhaps children hold the element in the depressed position for too long, perhaps the owner places a parcel in the back seat pressing in the element for too long, perhaps date night overcrowds the back seat area depressing the element for 2 minutes or more....it doesnt matter what the cause. The fuse should protect this circuit and it consistently does not.

I would install a modern, inline fuse on the back of the element for safety. A word to the wise.....

Tom Mooney