64 Rivi at Autorama

mt65riv

Guest Kaber

I just got home from there. That car was over the top! It had a 1971 Boattail rear end, twin turbo in the back, Machined billet grille, fender grills and tail light bezels. When we got there the hood was down and I asked if it had a Nailhead in it and the guy with it , who had a "Rivision" crew shirt on, said "What's a Nailhead"?!?!?!?? Big surprise it had an LS motor in it. Massive fabrication, amazing custom and cool to see a Riv in the great 8!

Kaber

-I forgot to mention, it was a 2 seater and they did start with a 64 Riviera. It had a ducted hood with a raised stylized version of the Riv "R" made into it. The hood had leather belts in the back that held it closed. The car was shocking to see, I was not expecting anything like that. Regardless of what you might think of the finished car you have to be astounded by the fabrication that went into it! I really enjoyed seeing it!

Edited by Kaber (see edit history)

Fugly or not, it won the Riddler award!

Kaber

Here's something I pasted from the description of the Ridler award. Originally the award was given to the Best Vehicle shown for the first time. Over the last forty-nine years the award has evolved to better conform to new ideas, changing designs and concepts. Today it emphasizes creativity, engineering and workmanship.

Don't say nuthin' about aesthetics or appeal though. :rolleyes:

There was a really nice looking '64 Riviera at the Chicago World of Wheels this year. I'm sure that someone can find a link somewhere and post some pictures.

Guest merrillcrosbie

Nope. There are a lot of bucks invested there. Alot of engineering. A lot of imagination. A lot of skill. But nope.

There are a lot of bucks invested there.

From the article in post #3:

"His Rivision however is his own car. This one was made specifically to win the Ridler. He has invested over $300,000 in parts and materials alone. But that does not include the hundreds of hours of labor."

I like the quote where the speaker said "well, that's what you get when you get here early. You don't even know what you're looking at." Good thing he taped for 5 minutes and figured out the engine was in the front.

The car is 50 years old. It was taken out of its context, modified and delivered to a counter culture group that tends to make "if your face" statements based on shock value or non-conformity. Holy Batman, why wouldn't it get the Ridler award.

I spent a couple of hours out in the garage with mine yesterday. Maybe I will mold in a simulated wooden nose ring and some Easter Island tattoo paint effects and fit in with the nonconformists.

Better yet, buy another Jaguar XJS.

Bernie

Guest dwhiteside64

There was a really nice looking '64 Riviera at the Chicago World of Wheels this year. I'm sure that someone can find a link somewhere and post some pictures.

post-93227-143142424997_thumb.jpg

post-93227-143142424995_thumb.jpg

Wow, I am surprised to read so many negative comments. Of course I am a little biased as I had a hand in helping make this project a reality. JF is a friend and several of us (friends) put in lots of volunteer time helping him get his project ready for the competition. I am a Buick fan, I currently own two and have owned others in the past. It does not upset me in the least to see him bring his dream to reality. I know I don't have the skills to do that kind of work. He had the vision and the skill to put it all together, as far as I am concerned, much harder to do than doing an original restoration. I know the difference, as I have done both, original restorations and a resto-mod build. I personally think it is a great looking "Riviera" Leon

I have been working on a redo of my '64. I put 8 coats of lacquer on it in 1980. Someone had put a vinyl top on it in the early '70's.That has finally been removed. My final plans are leaning toward two toning the paint similar to the green one with silver on top and Milano maroon below.

I think I will go with a light gray interior with maroon piping. After taking the dash pad off on Sunday, a stitched leather cover, in light gray with maroon stitching, looks like the way to go. These are reversible cosmetic changes. My ultimate goal is the have a car someone can walk up to and immediately know which end the engine is in.

Slightly in another direction, I bought four of these for my '94 Impala:

post-46237-143142425144_thumb.jpg 17 X 8 with the discontinued 5X5 pattern. When the Impala came out the aluminum wheels looked pretty good. Then they went corporate and the lok is common. Had to have the shiny Cragars. You know what else they fit..

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

Guest dwhiteside64

Well I just saw an article on Yahoo news regarding this automobile. This means that the car can be seen by all users of Yahoo. The title of the article even describes the car as a '64 Riviera so at the very least the car we love and care so much about is getting some national attention at the moment (although in a highly modified version lol).

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/canadian-man-and-his-850-hp-buick-wins-america-s-greatest-hot-rod-show-201316575.html