New Gal, Old car (37 Dodge Coupe)

Guest kkimkkim

Guest kkimkkim

Hello! My husband says if I want to have an old car, I need to educate myself about it and what better place than here?! I've been reading lots of great info from everyone and I hope you will have patience with my questions :D I've got a 1937 Dodge Business Coupe D5, hotrod. Sorry guys for not being an original. I'm in need of a few parts. Can anyone tell me where to find a glove box door, trim moulding for the hood, and the license plate lens cover? Are any of these parts interchangeable with another year or Plymouth? Thanks much!

It would help if we know what area of the country you live in to direct you to regional collector car salvage yards or parts vendors who might be able to help with your car's needs or perhaps even someone who may somewhat specialize in laate '30s Mopars. The standard answer today though is "keep watching ebay". Do purchase support literature for your '37 including the owner's manual, shop manual, parts books, showroom brochures, and perhaps factory photos. The Chrysler Historical Foundation can probably provide you with a build record document for your car for their $45 fee and at the same time they'll tell you what literature they have copies available.

Enjoy the hobby with that car and nice to see another couple sharing interest.

Guest kkimkkim
It would help if we know what area of the country you live in to direct you to regional collector car salvage yards or parts vendors who might be able to help with your car's needs or perhaps even someone who may somewhat specialize in laate '30s Mopars. The standard answer today though is "keep watching ebay". Do purchase support literature for your '37 including the owner's manual, shop manual, parts books, showroom brochures, and perhaps factory photos. The Chrysler Historical Foundation can probably provide you with a build record document for your car for their $45 fee and at the same time they'll tell you what literature they have copies available.

Enjoy the hobby with that car and nice to see another couple sharing interest.

Thanks for the reply! My hubby has already told me to get the manuals, etc. and the catalog for FatmanFab...LOL. I live in Oklahoma, so any recommendations for salvage yards would be greatly appreciated. Had a guy look at the brakes today and it's either a complete Mustang II install or put on disc brakes with rack and pinion steering. I don't care about power steering, but would like to hear from anyone of their opinion out there on this subject. My concern is how low the suspension will drop the car and I'd have to put blocks in the rear springs as well and that means I'd have to change out the rims/tires because it has a Nova rear end and the tires are offset now.

I have installed both the Fat man and Mustang II kits. The Fat Man stuff turns out to be a combination of several front suspensions as well as some of their own special parts.

Whereas a Mustang II is mostly Ford and easier to remember if you need parts.

They both work well. and you can build the ride height into the fabrication.

If you are staying with a stock motor I would simply rebuild the stock front end as necessary. It will be MUCH easier. Then find a stock rear end.

If it already has a bigger motor and you are looking for brakes and handling and you are a fabricator either will be fine.

The Fat Man that I built used a Chevrolet Cavalier rack mounted behind the X-member and the M-II mounts the rack in front of the X-member which leaves a bit more room for oil pan decisions. The manual or power rack will bolt up to the same X-member on the M-II, I don't think that power steering was available on the Fat Man, but I could be mistaken on that.

I like to use the wider lower control arms on the M-II. This way you don't have to fabricate the struts from the lower arms to the frame to absorb the braking forces.

Now you will need to fabricate the steering, It sometimes can be complicated, but there are many kits available thru 'speedwaymotors.com', or my local favorite "Art Morrison". There are many more as the hot rod culture is everywhere.

What ever direction you go make sure that you keep focused on the project as there are many unfinished projects out there that folks have become overwhelmed or simply lost interest.

And most of all Have fun with it.

My apologies to the purists that are cringing right now, but she asked.

Guest kkimkkim
I have installed both the Fat man and Mustang II kits. The Fat Man stuff turns out to be a combination of several front suspensions as well as some of their own special parts.

Whereas a Mustang II is mostly Ford and easier to remember if you need parts.

They both work well. and you can build the ride height into the fabrication.

If you are staying with a stock motor I would simply rebuild the stock front end as necessary. It will be MUCH easier. Then find a stock rear end.

If it already has a bigger motor and you are looking for brakes and handling and you are a fabricator either will be fine.

The Fat Man that I built used a Chevrolet Cavalier rack mounted behind the X-member and the M-II mounts the rack in front of the X-member which leaves a bit more room for oil pan decisions. The manual or power rack will bolt up to the same X-member on the M-II, I don't think that power steering was available on the Fat Man, but I could be mistaken on that.

I like to use the wider lower control arms on the M-II. This way you don't have to fabricate the struts from the lower arms to the frame to absorb the braking forces.

Now you will need to fabricate the steering, It sometimes can be complicated, but there are many kits available thru 'speedwaymotors.com', or my local favorite "Art Morrison". There are many more as the hot rod culture is everywhere.

What ever direction you go make sure that you keep focused on the project as there are many unfinished projects out there that folks have become overwhelmed or simply lost interest.

And most of all Have fun with it.

Thank you Jack for all this great information! I knew I was in the right place when I joined this group.

I apologize also to those who are wondering "why isn't she doing this as an original??" I grew up with hotrods and with the passing of my father a few years ago, getting cancer last year, it makes one take a look at their bucket list. This project is one of two things on my list :-) So again, guys, sorry, but it's going to be a hotrod. I do plan to keep everything else as original as possible, thats why I'm looking for the glove box door (the other owner cut a hole in it for a radio, ugh) and a few pieces of chrome trim for the hood. The seat is original and it's in good shape (covered in vinyl, tho).

One last question for anyone please (I'm sure it really won't be THE last question, ha)... when installing a M-II, where to move the battery? In trunk or behind seat, under bench seat?

Thanks!!

Doubt anyone is cringing just yet but I am curious why this isn't discussed on a more appropriate "hotrod/ratrod" forum such as the HAMB ? Seems that's the more appropriate place for it but it is a free country.

Now if she decides to post pic's of the damage done here then you'll see some cringing...

This is the kind of thing that starts world wars and such :)

Welcome Kim,

good to see your enjoying yourself. I understand first hand how the big C word can cause you to refocus in order to enjoy things more. Good luck and have fun.

This wouldn't cause a World War if no one brought it up and just live and let live. Maybe she and her husband want to end up with a resto-rod of which there are many hundreds in the AACA. I also think of 90% of all Model As that have innumerable options and upgrades so they stop and go down the highway and wonder why anyone thinks Henry built a good car when so few of them remain authentically stock. This couple may also like our lower-keyed, more mature approach to things versus the HAMB's rockabilly bar atmosphere.

And Kim, take a look at Posie's rear spring offering for your car. Some lowering and very nice ride quality.

You can put the battery anyplace you want. That's why they make cables. If you are staying with 6 volt then make sure you use VERY HEAVY cables.

You have not yet revealed your engine or electrical choices.

A normal V8 setup leaves little room under the floor for batteries and brake cylinders etc. as they usually get dual exhaust. You can maybe put it on the firewall or the trunk.

Speedwaymotors.com will mail you a catalog no charge. Makes for good wish lists. They have street rod, racing, bucket T and pedal car catalogs as well as online products. I kind of like the printed catalog when shopping, then order online.

Guest kkimkkim
Doubt anyone is cringing just yet but I am curious why this isn't discussed on a more appropriate "hotrod/ratrod" forum such as the HAMB ? Seems that's the more appropriate place for it but it is a free country.

Now if she decides to post pic's of the damage done here then you'll see some cringing...

This is the kind of thing that starts world wars and such :)

Welcome Kim,

good to see your enjoying yourself. I understand first hand how the big C word can cause you to refocus in order to enjoy things more. Good luck and have fun.

30Dodge Panel...My apologies if I'm not in the correct forum for this stuff. I've looked at HAMB and didn't find them to answer questions as well as AACA. I won't post any pic's, unless asked. I know not everyone will agree with what I'm doing. If my father were still alive, I'd ask him about these things, but I do appreciate very much the wisdom from those who have been kind and patient enough to answer my questions.

Guest kkimkkim
This wouldn't cause a World War if no one brought it up and just live and let live. Maybe she and her husband want to end up with a resto-rod of which there are many hundreds in the AACA. I also think of 90% of all Model As that have innumerable options and upgrades so they stop and go down the highway and wonder why anyone thinks Henry built a good car when so few of them remain authentically stock. This couple may also like our lower-keyed, more mature approach to things versus the HAMB's rockabilly bar atmosphere.

And Kim, take a look at Posie's rear spring offering for your car. Some lowering and very nice ride quality.

StillOutThere....Yes, I do like the atmosphere much better here on AACA vs. HAMB. No offense to anyone! Sigh...I'm just wondering if I should just stop posting for I do not want to start any wars here! I was just seeking some advise from those who I'm sure I can learn a lot from. I'll look into Posie's rear spring! Thank you and have a great day!

Guest kkimkkim
The H.A.M.B. is to busy for me. Almost like to much participation so takes to much time to read all of the posts.

There is much to read on the HAMB! This setup suits me better, but I'm hesitant to post much more after this. I appreciate your time and patience with such a newbie here.

30Dodge Panel...My apologies if I'm not in the correct forum for this stuff. I've looked at HAMB and didn't find them to answer questions as well as AACA. I won't post any pic's, unless asked. I know not everyone will agree with what I'm doing. If my father were still alive, I'd ask him about these things, but I do appreciate very much the wisdom from those who have been kind and patient enough to answer my questions.

By all means post away .... my post was only meant as humor because of those that do take it way to serious. I sure didn't mean to sound so brash or suggest you were starting a war, I just thought you would have better luck on the HAMB since more of the audience over there is mainly the hotrod crowd but your explanation of why you chose this location is commendable. Again, welcome.

Pics are always good, we can always turn away if it get's to gruesome ;)

If your looking for serious watch the news , if your looking to explore and gain knowledge, and have a little light humor, stay put,,,,,,,I had a 36 Dodge and had little choise what to do with it, due to it was a parts car at best, I went the same route (rod ) at least I saved it from the shreadder.........and someone is still enjoying it today....

post some pictures ,always nice to see what's in the others garden.............

forgot to mention, stay stronger in your fight with the C..................

Hello Kim. You already have an antique Dodge which has been significantly altered from stock so in practical terms there is probably no going back. You should not feel in any way bad about posting requests for help and information for your car on this forum and I hope you get the best possible help from the very experienced guys here.

We sometimes get insensitive individuals who want to create hot rods from good original cars which due to their increasing rarity deserve to be restored or kept as stock. Opinions are divided, however, and sometimes the debate becomes heated.

In any event, you are welcome here! :)

Ray.

Edited by R.White
error (see edit history)

Guest kkimkkim
If your looking for serious watch the news , if your looking to explore and gain knowledge, and have a little light humor, stay put,,,,,,,I had a 36 Dodge and had little choise what to do with it, due to it was a parts car at best, I went the same route (rod ) at least I saved it from the shreadder.........and someone is still enjoying it today....

post some pictures ,always nice to see what's in the others garden.............

forgot to mention, stay stronger in your fight with the C..................

Thanks for the encouraging words! I hate watching the news, so maybe I will stick to this forum! Sounds like some of you guys could use some gal humor..ha! My car color is currently a Raspberry pink! Even that makes my hubby cringe, so I'm having it painted a Black Cherry Metallic :-)

Guest kkimkkim
Hello Kim. You already have an antique Dodge which has been significantly altered from stock so in practical terms there is probably no going back. You should not feel in any way bad about posting requests for help and information for your car on this forum and I hope you get the best possible help from the very experienced guys here.

We sometimes get insensitive individuals who want to create hot rods from good original cars which due to their increasing rarity deserve to be restored or kept as stock. Opinions are divided, however, and sometimes the debate becomes heated.

In any event, you are welcome here! :)

Ray.

I do understand those wanting to keep cars in their original state, and they should have pride in those cars! These cars are beautiful (girl talk here!) I just happened to come upon this 37 Dodge (I was looking into buying a Model T/original!) but I like speed! LOL I scare my hubby when I'm driving the four wheeler too fast! I'm told the Dodge has a 327, but we think it's actually a 283 and will look at it when it gets torn down for repainting and the new MII.

Hi "New Gal"! (Not so new anymore though. You have 8 posts in at this point already!)

Taking an already (possibly severely) modified car and working with it is not that big of a deal on this forum. It's the guys that take a perfectly restorable or possibly even an already nicely restored car and (gulp) hot rod it.

But, you may want to consider this idea. With all of the re-engineering you will have to do on your project and all the personality you will be putting into your car, why not consider calling it (and registering it as) a 2014 Kimmobile or such. That will at least leave the "Dodge Brothers" engineering credit to the the Chrysler Company and the Dodge model name and you would start to establish the credit for all of your personal engineering design. That may also help some of the "purists" here on the Dodge Brothers Forum get along with your project. ;)

Let's see some "before" shots before you forget.

Edited by 1936 D2 (see edit history)

Personally I would put a Dodge engine in it instead of the cookie cutter brand X.

If you title it as a 37 Dodge the cops (and the world) will recognize it as an old car (which it is) and reasonable insurance is available.

Not that my opinion matters at this point but, my vote is for Mopar drivetrain (318, 340, 440, 426 vroom vroom...). From the sounds of it though Kim, you are set on what you have with the 283 so we must do our best to talk you off that GM cliff..

We are on a Dodge forum afterall ...

Anyone that puts a 283 or 327 in a Mopar vehicle or vise versa such as, putting a 318 or a 440 in a Chevy should be flogged, quartered and .... well, you get the picture (by the way, this is a joke, flogging and quartering is not allowed in most locations around here anymore ;)).

Even a ole Dodge flathead on steroids is better than inner breeding and way more cool. Just my 2 cents...

Personally I like the 283 (my first car a 66 Impala had one) and the 327 (my daily driver today) but mixing and matching has never been anything special or original. Finding a not so beat up 340 or 440 would give you a lot more bang for your buck IMHO. Oh, and the pink?? Yeah, that's gotta go, lime green or nothing. :)

Hi Kim,

Welcome. I look forward to hearing about your car. I am can relate. I have a 51 chevy that was my great Uncle's....and we have two travelers and a 55 dodge royal lancer (Pink and black and white....we call her pink lady). We also have a hotrod. Hotrodding isn't the end of the world. Go enjoy your car.....and I for one hope to see pics.

Guest kkimkkim

Hello all....been busy removing the interior parts for repainting and obtaining the other parts I need for the front suspension. Yes, yes, yes, this is a hotrod, but I am doing my best to keep as much original as possible. With the possibility of life being short, I plan on driving a car with some speed! I know...I can feel the vibes of some of you cringing here, but be patient and know that I'm going to enjoy what life I have left with a smile on my face ;) I appreciate your encouraging words and here is another question for ya.....I'm looking for a metallic paint, preferably a black with a red sparkle, any suggestions? I don't want a maroon/purple or orange undertone in it. Thanks much and hope you all have an awesome day!

Guest kkimkkim
Any photos yet??

I need to figure out how to do the photos on here and WARNING, when I do, some of you will probably be ill...LOL. It is a Raspberry Pink!! But soon to be changed!