1955 Breather Tube Replacement

Paul Falabella

Guest NikeAjax

Paul, I can't help but wonder if you have the wrong angle-of-attack? Perhaps try moving the end of the tube more laterally. Also, put a light under the car, and with a mirror, see if you can spot where it's hanging-up.

I hope that was some help?

Jaybird

Perhaps the tube needs to be in place on the valley cover before installing on the block? It would seem this is a tough angle to work when the cast iron block is impeding any motion and aligning the tube. When I pulled my manual transmission I did have some play with the tube to swing it out of the way of the bell housing. I would unbolt the valley cover so the nose can be pulled up and tail down to let the tube align finding home. Place the cover back on and secure.

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

I took a quick look at my 56 specifically to look at the angle of the port on the valley cover. In the one picture you posted it looks like the right valley cover but the incorrect draft tube. Is it possible you have a draft tube from a 364 or 401 engine?

Paul, I just did this when I replaced the cylinder head on mine. If I remember correctly, I just rested mine on the rear intake port area of the passenger side head while working on it and it just fell back into place. You may have to remove the valley cover and distributor to get it out of the apparent bind. Those pipes have never been easy: the pipe on my 2 parts cars are beat up on the curve by a hammer.:P

Willie

Guest Rob McDonald

Like Willie says, my breather pipe just nicely fell into place, before and after removing the valley cover a couple of times. Yours does seem to be too far forward and I agree that you need to loosen off the valley cover to provide the wiggle room that it needs. Hopefully, you can do that without pulling out the distributor. Good luck and remember, Count to ten before throwing tools.