54 Super 2 Dr ht PS 3spd stick

Remember, a few months back, there was a teacher and his son who were restoring a '55 three speed... I'd bet this is the car. I can't think what their thread was called, but they had several posts on it, and pictures, if someone is smarter than I am and look for it.. I think it was under Me and My Buick....

Remember, a few months back, there was a teacher and his son who were restoring a '55 three speed... I'd bet this is the car. I can't think what their thread was called, but they had several posts on it, and pictures, if someone is smarter than I am and look for it.. I think it was under Me and My Buick....

Yes this is the same car. I was confused as I thought it was a 54 Super but I see now the porthole design means it's a 55. It's interesting to note that the Me and My Buick activity ended back in November, and here we are in Mid-February and it's for sale.

With the rust repair needed, I just am not sure $5500 will find a sale. Having all of us jump on the "wow it's rare" bandwagon, may have something to do with the $5500 price.

Well, Bryan, in all honesty, it isn't what you'd call run of the mill.... what other word would you use other than rare... How many do you know of? This is the only one I've seen, other than Mr. Earl's '54, Century. And seen neither one in person...only pictures.

Edited by Earl B. (see edit history)

That's a real shame that they are giving up. My dad died before we finished our 49 chevy. I couldn't stand to look at it after and sold it. (actively hunting another one now ha ha) They got so far and just needed that floor work. surely they could find a fab guy needing some extra cash on the side...and I know cars inc carries the floor pans for a reasonable price.

It's too bad he has to sell....

This picture tells a lot

does the raised area around the brake and clutch mean it's a factory straight shift job?

The hole in the floor is certainly big enough for Fred Flintstone brakes.

Pretty sure that raised area is standard in all model floors.I think that the two different colors of dash and steering column suggests it may have been swapped from another car.But I am thinking we have seen that scenario in 55's before? But even so, I think that would have had to have come from another Super, possibly a 4 door, as one thing I am certain, no Roadmasters came with 3 speed. But again, I definitely am not slighting the car, even if it wasn't factory it is COOL. If it was mine I would just have to somehow determine conclusively if it was factory or not though. Jus sayin...

Edited by MrEarl
meant conclusively, not inconclusively...duhh (see edit history)

I haven't seen my bare floor in 14 years. And it's the only '55 floor I've seen. It's why I posed the question. Lamar, I knew you would know, thanks for that.

I remember noticing that the power steering on that car was from a '53

On the internet, I've seen two other Supers with factory manual shift.

It is too bad that he has to give it up... I hope it goes to a good home.

From that thread

1166849 on right side (drivers side) 1166849 space 6 or 5 on the other side (passenger side) on the manifold it has 1165384-1-15 (the second dash has a circle around it). The Reservoir say transmission fluid type A....

Does "transmission fluid type A" indicate it was an auto?

I haven't seen my bare floor in 14 years. And it's the only '55 floor I've seen. It's why I posed the question. Lamar, I knew you would know, thanks for that.

I remember noticing that the power steering on that car was from a '53

On the internet, I've seen two other Supers with factory manual shift.

It is too bad that he has to give it up... I hope it goes to a good home.

I was pulling a Selectronic foot switch from a Roadmaster yesterday and noticed, yea it had the blanks for a 3 speed.

From that thread

Does "transmission fluid type A" indicate it was an auto?

Not necessarily, that was the wording on 53-55 power steering reservoirs. And that you rarely see correct on restored cars. Someone has been selling the lettering that uses the term hydraulic fluid in lieu of transmission fluid for YEARS.

See mpls mn craiglist. Sorry about that fat fingered 54 when I meant to type 55. Still rare?

Will make plans to see in person and render an eye witless account.....?

I know 2carb40 was interested in knowing if a 3 speed could be hooked up with power steering. Hopefully he is taking a look at this car and will be able to answer some of our questions. Even better, maybe he will bring it home with him.