No Title/ Pink Purchase

Guest clamshells

Guest clamshells

I posted this in the general section of the main forum also.

I need to talk to someone with experience buying a car with no pink. I'll PM my phone number if that helps.

I went to DMV with the VIN and verified the car is OFF record.

I have the information packet from DMV. I have to fly to see the car, decide on a price and hire a transport service, fly home and the transport service is going to have to pick up the car from the seller without me there.

All replies welcome including: "only a idiot would pay for a car, leave it and expect the best".

Thanks in advance.

Clams

Good Grief! What a story!

I once lost a 63 Corvair spyder with the Turbo charged engine and 4 speed cause of a missing conn title.

However, I would suggest contacting the State DMV which should hold the Title and ask them what the options are before purchase or tossing in the towel.

If this is a Ca. car and title there is a DMV form for a lost or stolen title which will require some verification from the seller as to what happened to the original title. If he is legit he won't mind helping you out on this if not then the car isn't worth it even if it were free. If you decide to do this deal(?) bring a camera with you so you know what you are getting and to confirm it all there when it arrives. "Let the Buyer BEWARE"!!!

Cars are picked up all the time by transport services without the buyer being there. Generally not a problem but two improtant factors have to be in place. You have to trust the seller to accomodate the transport service when they arrive, and most importantly hire a reputable auto transport company.

You need to to check with the DMV in the state where the car will be titled to see what they require based on your specific situation. DO NOT buy the car assuming anything relative to obtaining a clear title. You have to do all the homework and get the process in writing. Only way I'd buy a car with no title and no clear concise certainty on the procedure and cost to get it titled would be if I had no intention of ever registering the car, could sell it in parts or scrap for what I paid for it plus shipping in the event the titling process became overwhelming. Heck, in PA you can't even scrap a car legally unless you have the title. If no title you have to cut it up in pieces then hope the scrap yard will take it as regular junk and not identify as an auto.

The responsibility remains on the seller for getting a clear title. If they don't want to do that then they have to expect to sell the car far below market value vs same car that has a title.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

Guest clamshells

Hey guys I made the trip down with all intentions of buying the car only find a pile of S%! I've seen some rusted trash in my time but I pushed my finger through the roof like it was a piece of white bread and the carbs were junk the car and the VIN didn't match the engine, nor was the LX code but a 66 MW.

My buddy a mechanic for over 50 years was very skeptical of the VIN Tag too.

The car is listed on CL in Highland, CA. BUYER BEWARE!

I would have paid 1K for the car if the VIN didn't look questionable (yes that bad).

Thanks for everyone's input I learned allot about a "missing pink" and hope other guys can also benefit from the great info members posted here.

OK Clams: Is this the one? http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/4303380141.html. That car needs to be previewed in the flesh. The seller needs to provide a clear title in his/her name. For 9K they better get off their duff and get a fresh legit title.

This might be a legit GS but as all these old things go many if their engines have long played out and who knows what's in there. I like it complete with a happy title and vin tag for $2,500. Mitch

Guest clamshells
You have to look at 100 cars before you find a good one. One down 99 to go.

Bernie

Yes indeed. I am about 7 cars in so only 93 more to go...............lol

Clams

• 1 month later...

Good thread, I recently was in a similar situation with a CA car. Seller was determined that the title would be clear but wanted money down ASAP. Was pulled from an impound yard with a missing fuel tank because it was intended for the scrap yard. After a little reading of the CA DMV site, it looks like the expenses of renewing the registration, existing fees, and all title transfer can weigh a serious cost. Even if the vehicle itself is inexpensive, the pains of getting a title and transport were equal if not more than the car itself.</SPAN>