Got my families Overland back on the road this weekend!!

Binger

My brother came to visit this last week and while he was here we were able to put our 1910 Overland back together. It has been down for several years. We had new wheels built for it and then discovered a cracked ring gear during the test drive. Then we got into the trans axle on it and had to have all new bearings put in to it as well as having a new ring and pinion and transmission main shaft made. Up on the test drive for those repairs we discovered a problem with the drive shaft not being true and the throw out bearing not working properly. Take it all apart again and send more parts off to be built. Thanks to Remco in Cadilac Michigan for the machine work. Gilbert is great for fabricating new parts and retro fitting new bearings into the entire rear end. My brother came for a visit and together we put the car back together. It had been six years since the car had been on the road. It was a bit emotional on the test drive with mom since this was the first time she had been for a ride in that car since we lost Dad.

post-98386-14314235541_thumb.jpg

Hi.

Believe me when I say I understand about the emotion / memories of DAD and the car in the family, especially an Overland! Truly happy for you, your Mom and the car that you were able to enjoy the ride together!

Please post more pictures as you all enjoy the rides & memories.

post-36036-143142355499_thumb.jpg

My Dad's Overland Whippet

WOW! In the family all those years, extra special for sure! I love to hear stories like that.

So you grew up with antique cars in your blood too!?

I was a young guy when Dad bought our 1920 Overland in running condition and a bit later he bought the Whippet as a project. What you see is a 28 year amateur restoration. He will be 90 this May and enjoys when I get him out for a ride.

I'm sure your father was looking down on you the day you got the car & Mom out for that ride. You have my deepest sympathies for your loss.

I'd love to see more pictures of the car up close. It's really hard to believe Overland was 2nd only to the Model T once and yet most people (outside of the antique car culture) don't even know what an Overland is.

This overland has been restored 3 times. Gramps and Dad brought it to home off of the farm in 1953. two amateur restorations and then a good one they finished in 1978. The car won a first grand national in 1981. By the time I was born there were 5 cars in the collection. Mom tells a story that I was 2 months old when I went on my first outing with the local club. I will post up a few more shots of the Overland. There are a few shots on my profile page here.

Wow, thanks for sharing. A great AACA family and a great car. Am so happy to see wheels still rolling. Dan would be proud. Will we see you at Hershey?

Terry

Hello John

I just had to come on here to say how happy I was to see your post on getting the Overland back on the road. This made my day! Not long ago, while going through some old papers, I came across a copy of "One Of The Family" which your dad wrote and gave me years back. Do you know which paper I'm talking about? The one where the Overland is telling it's own life story? Well, I just pulled it back out and read the one line I was looking for. It says " I think John and Tom are going to become a very important part of my life some time in the future." Yes, I would say so, but we all knew that would be. Like Terry said... Dan would be proud. But I know he always was of you guys. So, congrats on getting her back on the road again. I can't wait to get another ride some day!

And plan on a Hershey trip. We'll always have a room for you.

John, Ditto what Rick said! There's always room for a Binger in the Red field. Your story is helping light a fire under my @$$ to get the 1911 Hudson Model 33 Torpedo body touring car up and running. You'll remember that classic photo of of Barnett, Binger, Ricketts and Scotland. Harry (the Hudson) has sat in the same state he was in when dad passed. I've moved forward on other projects but Harry's number finally came up. He's on the lift - New carb ordered and I'm ready to get him on the road again. I'm actually considering leaving the 1911 Marmon at home and driving the Hudson on the 2014 Reliability tour in PA this June. These two cars have run together many times - wouldn't it be a hoot to do it again. My mom will be my navigator (god help us all) and we'll be joining Tracy (Ricketts) Lesher, Her husband Jeff and kids as well as many of the Buzzard clan. You should come!! Load up the car and come adventure with us! Mom would love to see Judy again!

Hey Sam

As fun as that would be having John there in the Red Field with us, I thought you should know something. The last time a Barnett, a Binger and a Hoover gathered in the same flea market space at Hershey, the police were called in. Not saying what we did, but we all agreed Howard started it. I'm sure John would be well behaved, but....... :rolleyes:

Please let me point out that there's going to be another Hershey Hangover this year. To encourage more brass-era cars to come to Hershey, the AACA Snappers and HCCA Susquehanna Valley Regional Group jointly sponsor a day and a half of touring right after Hershey for pre-'16 cars. We hole up at a motel about 30 miles from Hershey, check in Saturday afternoon after the show, tour all day Sunday, and tour Monday until just after lunch. We have guest riders from all around the world - Australia, the UK, Canada, New Zealand. Cars need not have been judged, nor even be judge-worthy; just enter as a Do Not Judge if you prefer, and then come driving with us. Rural Pennsylvania roads are great for cars of this vintage. Y'all come!

Gil Fitzhugh the Elder, Morristown, NJ

Guest tracymrl

John, your Dad is so very proud of you both! It warms my heart as an old friend and fellow Overland owner to see your picture with your Mom and Tom too!! Give your Mom a hug. We have fullest respect for any Overland owner who has put a rear-end into his vehicle. ;)

Guest carbadge

John, it's exciting to see the 1910 back on the road as your dad was very, very proud of that car and it's history - I didn't know him as well or as long as Tracy and her folks, but once I did get to know him - he was a terrific guy. There's something about setting the backlash in those rears that's a bit cathartic! We still joke about the night he picked us up in Denver and took us to Bruce's in the 50 Chevy! Anyway - you and your Mom and brother are always welcome at our place if you make the trek East. Also - I must put a plug in for the 2014 Reliability Tour. The routes are finished, the hotel is starting to fill up, National has the registration stuff - so send your card in. I've lived here for not quite 50 years and we'll be visiting places and travelling roads that I've never seen before laying this out. Gil Sr's Creepy Crawly is for the slower movers, but it and the Reliability itself will be a lot of fun. You can start touring Sunday with a short warm up and dinner (bring your fishing rods) and you'll see a silver mine, get to use your gas lamps and drive quite a few miles on dirt and gravel plus ford streams! We'll (Susquehanna HCCA and Hershey Region) have a booth at the National Meeting in Philly - so stop by.

John,

For all of us who are second generation AACA members, we are all proud of what you have done. The entire club benefits when we bring these older cars out on the road again. I know your father would be very excited. Also, on behalf of all of the Buzzies - way to go!

Brenda Shore

Thanks for the kind words. I am glad to finally get the '10 Overland and the '14 Buick off of the list of things that need repaired in the collection. I don't think we can make the reliability tour this year but perhaps in 2015. Does anyone know where it is being held? how about the Glidden?

The AACA Reliability Tour happens only every other year. If you can't make this year's, the next is in 2016. But the Hershey Hangover would make a great reason - in case you needed another one! - to bring your Overland to Hershey, since you could tour with it after the show. And there are brass-era HCCA tours all over the country every year, at which you'd be most welcome.

John, congrats to you and your family for getting the family car back on the road. It's so special that the car has been in the family since new. I am doing a '14 Overland and am ready to get into the rear for bearing and ring gear replacement. I am curious as to the bearing type you used. Did you replace the Hyatt bearings with modern designs? Any info or advise would be greatly appreciated. I have all of the new bearings for the transmission, but the rear axle/differential will be our next big challenge.

post-85192-14314237066_thumb.jpg

I replaced all the Bearings in the rear with modern bearings. Remco in Cadillac Mi is who Retrofit the new bearings. They built new axles, outer axle bearings and Differential carrier bearings. They also retro fit new bearings into the transmission. I used Gear Headquarters in Kansas City for the ring and pinion. They also built a ring and pinion for my '14 Buick too. They were less expensive to make those pieces than any one else. It was also nice my brother lives there and could go down and talk to them in person. I will do a little digging and see if I can find some of the pics I have of the work.

Nice speedster project! looks great!

I had Remco in Cadillac Mi do the new Ring and Pinion gears for my 1914 Buick B-37, and changed the ratio.

It was originally 4.08:1

Now it is 3.31:1, and is much less stressed while touring comfortably on the road. Of course stopping ability is unchanged, so we do not exceed 75 mph (LOL)