Charging Voltage Question-1965 Riviera with 401 engine, 61 volt alternator

Foxlovescars

What is the actual charging voltage "working range" that a 401 with a/c should have? My car usually sits around 12.30 volts when I go to start it, and will sometimes climb as high as 14.50 volts while I am driving (not using the heater, headlights or a/c system).

Thanks,

Frank

That`s fine. Most 12 volt batteries will display about 12.4 -12.6 volts while at rest. The charging system should stabilize or regulate at 13.8 to 14.0 volts while the vehicle is running. The voltages will fluctuate depending on the state of charge of the battery and the load being placed on the system. You`re golden, no worries,

Tom Mooney

• 3 weeks later...

Although I had an electrical shop check the charging system and it was okay, my two year old battery continues to slowly "bleed" battery acid from under the top caps when the car is running. When I installed the alternator, I had to install it 180 degrees (upside down from the previous original alternator position) rather than exactly the way the original came off the car. BY ANY CHANCE, would this cause a problem? The connecting wires to the alternator were long enough to allow for the installation reversal.

Thanks,

Frank

No problem with the location of the alternator.

Most people rate battery quality by how long they last and thats important. Often overlooked and equally important is how well they are constructed to not seep acid around the posts. I've had batteries that rarely ever had to have the terminals cleaned while others its a routine requirement. Acid leakage can be caused by overcharging because the excess gassing can't vent fast enough so an internal pressure builds inside the battery but 14.5 volts max would normally not be a concern.

When I installed the alternator, I had to install it 180 degrees (upside down from the previous original alternator position) rather than exactly the way the original came off the car.

Frank

Frank,

If for some reason you don't like the placement of the alternator plugs, you can "clock" your alternator. Remove the bolts that hold the cover to the case, rotate the mounting ears to the point where they are in the same location relative to the plug as the original alternator and reinstall the bolts.

FYI to anyone purchasing an alternator from your local jobber. Take you old one with you and have the counter person clock the new one AND install your pullies before ever taking it home.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

UPDATE:

Clocking the alternator made no difference. Replaced the battery with a new one and the problem cleared up. The battery tested fine under load, but was still bad after only 22 months of service. Could not prove if the battery went bad and started the whole "charges sometime, overcharges other times" problem or whether the battery failed as a result of the bad voltage regulator and/or the old alternator. The charging system seems to be functioning fine now.

Thank you again for all your support and seasoned ideas.

Frank O'Donnell

Troy, VA