Can anyone ID this old Buick wheel?

Sweepspear

Looks to be a wheel cut down to fit a smaller steel rim. The hubcap looks to be a nickeled brass one... may be 1925. All the photos I have seen of the Buick wood wheels show demountable rims thru 1928.

If the drum is 12 3/8" Diameter and 2 3/8" wide I sure could use it. A previous owner of my 1925 standard relined the brakes and used copper plated split rivets

driven in to the lining. Grooved up my drums. pretty bad

Larry

The rim would fit a 17" tire. The brake drum is 12-3/8" x 2-3/8" O.D.

All the photos I have found of wheels with similar spokes appear to be the demountable clinch on rims too.

I suppose it is possible someone modified a set of those wheels to fit these rims, but seems like a lot of trouble to go through.

Larry, maybe we can work something out on the brake drum if you think you can use it.

Wooden spoked wheels were an option right into the early 1930's. Smallest wheels I see listed at that time is 18 inch for 32, and 17 inch for 1933. That may also be an older Hubcap on a newer wheel??? You never know what someone would have went though durring the Depression and WWII to keep tires on a vehicle, or a piece of farm machinery, just to keep things moving. Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

Fun exercise....... I know little about these early cars but must agree with most that it is a hybrid/modified unit made from cut down split rim center.

(1) it has 12 spokes. it seems the 1930 wheel was down to 10

(2) The rivets/bolts indicate it was a front wheel (rear wheels had half the number of bolts)

(3) comparing the size relationship between the bearing cap, to the size of the outer hub, 1926-27 is the strongest possibility.

This again is with no knowledge, just comparing the pictures in "The Buick A Complete History" and Standard catalog of Buick.

Also, would the "Buick" bearing cap screw on a wheel from another make?

Sweepspear:

Finally found your posts again as I usually lurk over on the pre-war forum.

I went to buy wood wheels with 2 hubs on e-bay that had drums last year. To just get 2 good drums would have been great. But the 2 wheels looked as if they were pulled from the bottom of a swamp there was no fellow or rim and barely any wood spokes left. When I asked the condition of the drums the seller would not elaborate or send any other photos. Just the same I made an offer of $40.00 for the pair which they accepted. Then they wanted $120 for shipping. So needles to say I did not buy them.

Larry