Options help

Guest denny_W121

Guest denny_W121

I'm debating on restoring one of a few Buicks my friend has sitting behind the barn. and I would like to pull the car that is the unique or maybe options that we're not common. How can I determine this information? I've got VIN's, style, body, trim, paint #'s is there anything else I need to determine what information I'm hoping to get? Also how can I go about deciphering these numbers?post-88221-143142247876_thumb.jpg

post-88221-143142247864_thumb.jpg

post-88221-143142247868_thumb.jpg

post-88221-143142247872_thumb.jpg

Guest my3buicks

Out of the cars you have pictured, the 55 would be the most desirable as it is a Century 4 door hardtop - the Century was Buicks "hotrod" so to speak, it had the bigger engine in the smaller body. The 57 is a Special 4 door hardtop, the 54 appears to be a Special 4 door sedan (it could be a Century but I don't see the Century or Special name on the side), the first one appears to be a 51 Super.

Hopefully you are wanting to restore one of these because you love the style, or are passionate about owning an old Buick or one of these particular models. There is not one of them that will be worth more than you put into them for restoration.

That said, again, my vote would be the 55 Century

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

Gotta agree with Keith. 55's are HOT right now. So are 57's. Being unsure the location of the cars, either or both may be in need of floor/trunk/frame repair. It will be a challenge.

BTW, I notice that in front of the 57 is a Cadillac, and then two cars to the left of the Caddy appears to be a roof line for a 54-56 GM Full sized car, either Buick or Cadillac. Do you know what that car might be?

Guest denny_W121

John they are cadillacs. There is roughly 30-40 cars out there.

Woody I like the century. The floors will need to be replaced but the frames are in good shape.

There are a number of considerations to look at. First, which do you prefer? There is some variety of styling there. If you like them all approximately equally, which is in the best condition? Beyond that, the '51 is a straight eight engine - with a side opening hood - there is some cool factor there and the straight eights run very smoothly. 1957 has some one year only parts (front suspension if I recall) that can be difficult to obtain. Generally speaking, as noted earlier, you aren't going to be able to sell if for what it costs to restore it (depending on how much you do and whether or not you put a dollar figure to your time, so it has to be about a passion for the car rather than about money.

All are 1950s cars, so there is some element of attractiveness.

Good luck coming to a decision.

I would like to pull the car that is the unique or maybe options that we're not common. How can I determine this information? I've got VIN's, style, body, trim,

If the 50's Buicks are anything like the 60's that I'm familiar with, the only options shown on a data plate are for things that Fisher Body needed to do to a basic body to accommodate the options. Anything that could be dropped in on the assembly line that did not require a hole here or a tab there does not appear on the data plate. For example: On my '63 Riviera there are codes for a/c (holes for duct work in the firewall,) seat belts (holes in the floor,) radio (tapped holes for speaker screws and tabs for wire hold downs.) There are no codes for the tilt wheel, cornering lights, guidematic, twilight sentinel, four note horn, or which wheel cover / tire combo came on the car. All of the latter items could be "bolted on" without additional body modifications.

At this point, you'd need to ascertain what options were available and see how each car is equipped. The data plate isn't going to reveal the really rare options.

Ed