Disgusting Picture

old-tank

We had an ethanol plant in Medina, New York, about 20 miles from me. It is closed now. I can tell because the constant plume of atmospheric steam venting has stopped.

If you do a Google image search for pollution you will see a lot of pictures of water vapor. In the case of the corn licker plant, it appears they had a superheated steam process. Under light loads the steam has to be vented to atmosphere to maintain a flow in the boiler tubes. Otherwise the heat will not be taken away and the boiler tubes will melt. So this plant processed a small amount of ethanol and constantly burned natural gas that was almost all vented as steam. Now there is a carbon footprint.

I put about 2,000 miles on my flexfuel truck using 15% and quit. The mileage was poor and unpredictable. I get 20 MPG with regular. Ethanol was $1.00 + less (minus my tax contribution). Ethanol ranged from 14 to 17 MPG with a noticeable reduction in power and smoothness. When the Check Engine light came on for a fuel related problem I switched back. At least I gave it a chance.

The flexfuel system has a sampling vessel in the fuel line ahead of the tank, kind of like a daytank on a stationary diesel. The tank has a float that varies in level depending on the specific gravity of the fuel. The Sp. Gr. changes with the mixture. The float has a rheostat-type sensor that feeds a signal the the ECM that calculates the fuel properties and tunes the engine to predetermined settings. I think it de-tuned my truck too much and lost efficiency. Thank you Mr. Senator. How is your car running on 15%?

Bernie