Need help with 1955 Buick Century front brake drums.

denis23

Hello,

discovered that one of the front brake drum of my Century have small kracks in the casting. Some runs on the edges to the centre and one around the edge. Probably it might be the reason of the shaking during the brake.

What is the solution? Is there point to refurb this drum or it would be better to change it?

If change - which should be better to buy,

1. Modern aftermarket

2. Old aftermarket (Kelsey-Heynes etc?

3. Old used?

What interchangeability is for 1955 Century front brake drums?

right / left

what production years drums fits?

is this difference between super/roadmaster/century/special front brakes?

is there difference between power brake car drums or not?

If somebody can answer this question - thank you in advance!

12 in. x 2.25 in...drum size on 55 Century and Super front and rear, 55 Special front and 55 Roadmaster rear

12 in. x 2.00 in...drum size on 55 Special rear

12 in. x 2.50 in...drum size on 55 Roadmaster front

Good used ones can still be found in the United States and that is my first choice especially if it is a front drum with the drum riveted to the hub. Aftermarket are available, but vary in construction and should be used in pairs.

Other years will work...see Rockauto.com for available shoe sizes.

Willie

12 in. x 2.25 in...drum size on 55 Century and Super front and rear, 55 Special front and 55 Roadmaster rear

12 in. x 2.00 in...drum size on 55 Special rear

12 in. x 2.50 in...drum size on 55 Roadmaster front

Good used ones can still be found in the United States and that is my first choice especially if it is a front drum with the drum riveted to the hub. Aftermarket are available, but vary in construction and should be used in pairs.

Other years will work...see Rockauto.com for available shoe sizes.

Willie

Many thanks will do!

Guest NikeAjax

Denis, it might behoove you to try to find the Roadmaster drums: it's pretty underbraked in adverse conditions and you NEVER know when those come. I know my 1956 was so I switched to disc: just something to think about...

Jaybird

Denis, it might behoove you to try to find the Roadmaster drums: it's pretty underbraked in adverse conditions and you NEVER know when those come. I know my 1956 was so I switched to disc: just something to think about...

Jaybird

I think that would require changing backing plates too, right? Not a big deal, jus sayin. Very much worth the effort. Tha's what I have planned for both my small series cars...some day...

.....discovered that one of the front brake drum of my Century have small kracks in the casting. Some runs on the edges to the centre and one around the edge.....If change - which should be better to buy.....Old used?......

Buying old used brake drums could be a crap shoot and my last choice. Besides miking the i.d., checking for run out, and visually looking for cracks, how do you sort out a good used Buick brake drum from a not-so-good used Buick brake drum without spending extra dollars. Just because it's OEM Buick, doesn't mean that you are buying quality parts. You might be buying the same (or other) problems that you are experiencing, although, the exact same thing could be said for buying new repro parts. My vote would be to buy new ones.

There is an acknowledgment in THE BUICK, A COMPLETE HISTORY by Dunham and Gustin, that Buick was having problems turning out more uniform brake drum castings in this era, causing performance problems....a suspected soft constituent would sometimes appear in the casting.....innovating a desulfurizing process and other techniques..... There is other documentation out there on this subject. Check it out.

Just reporting again.....you decide.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

There is an acknowledgment in THE BUICK, A COMPLETE HISTORY by Dunham and Gustin, that Buick was having problems turning out more uniform brake drum castings in this era, causing performance problems....a suspected soft constituent would sometimes appear in the casting.....innovating a desulfurizing process and other techniques..... There is other documentation out there on this subject. Check it out.

I've seen this historical comment also, but never saw any affected drum. My feeling is that defective ones died and were removed from service years ago. Visually inspect and measure the used drum for wear and use it. All of the drums on these cars are used.

Willie