Besides "what someone will pay for it", What is it worth?

I have a 78 Lincoln Town Car.

It has 90k original miles.

All original

460 v8

8 track player (must be worth a fortune now huh):rolleyes:

There are a few small rust spots, but it's a solid car otherwise. Few beauty marks here and there. I know it's not a show car.

Just looking to get a rough estimate.

Thanks in advance for any help.

post-84610-143142217736_thumb.jpg

post-84610-143142217724_thumb.jpg

I have seen Beautiful examples with 30 KMI on them for sale with no rust or bruises for less than 10,000. I don't think they are selling even at that. I would say unfortunately it's more of a used car than a collector car at this point as better examples are out there not to say this one is bad. I would say a price around 2500.00 is realistic if the rust is super minor and really hard to see. The bruises as well would have to be minor with a nice glossy paint and good presentable interior. I think there are still to many of these types of cars out there to make them really rare, desirable, or valuable. Just my 2 cents of course.

For some reason they don't go for much money. I think because Lincoln sold millions and there are still plenty around.

The early Mark III used to be in the same boat, decent ones everywhere for $2000 and $2500. In recent years they have gone up a lot. I suppose the supply of good ones has thinned out. The Town Cars may go the same way in a few more years.

When you say 'all original' does this mean the timing belt has never been changed? Or the transmission overhauled or replaced? When you say "a few small rust spots" does that mean two or three the size of a pea or several that are not really too noticeable but that are more serious an in difficult to repair areas? What is the gas mileage - I have seen these giant boats with their giant engines get less than 10 miles per gallon which at today's fuel prices make these things anything but a daily driver. Depending on many factors that would need to be examined, the price may be anywhere from less than $1000 to account for needed repairs, to perhaps as much as $2500 if it really is a creampuff. And these would be assuming you can find an eager buyer for this gas gulper.

All original as in my uncle bought it new, drove it, and maintained it. It has never had the transmission replaced or overhauled. Nor has the engine been torn into. If you look at the picture of the front end the small rust spots are the two dime size spots that you can see on the hood on the left hand side.

I am not in any hurry to sell it. I'm not even sure I want to. Just thought about it. I know for $1000 I would keep it for sentimental value. I also know that anyone looking for a daily driver would be a fool to buy this, but honestly who would want this big boat as a DD? If your buying it and complaining about gas milage on such a huge car with a big block the only response I could think of would be "DUH!". If I wanted good MPG I would buy a Prius.

They were quite a machine and the last of their breed. Should not be selling so cheap, but as you say, they are too big and thirsty for a daily driver, not quite old enough to be a collector car. The typical owner was an old man who garaged and maintained his car and did not use it a lot (especially after gas went thru the roof). Consequently there are a lot of good ones around.

This can't go on forever but in the meantime there is not much you can do. If you have the garage space, it might pay to keep it clean and waxed, service the engine and just keep it.

Guest myold88

Whenever I hear "Lincoln 460" it reminds me of the '73 Ford 9 pass Country Squire I had years ago with that engine.

7 MPG at best even on the highway. I took it from L.I. to Hershey one year and had to stop West of Philly to

fill the tank again... Not a plus especially these days.

It is a buyers market for these. For whatever reason, these cars are constantly labeled as gas pigs, and that is all the thought anyone gives to them. I highly doubt they use much more gas than 1960's luxury or muscle cars. But this is the first thing anyone says about them.

There are still a lot around in decent original condition. So what drives up the price is low mileage, options, moonroof or glass roof, rare special edition packages, and rare colors. 2 doors are also more desirable. Unfortunately this car has none of these. It is a decent color in decent shape, so I would say about $3000 to $5000.

Guest my3buicks

I would say $2500 range - there are many of these beauties out there that have far less miles and rust free. You can find some really sweet ones for $5K

For a moment imagine its the 1930's with the Great Depression going on. I'm sure there were a lot of old luxury cars that would have generated the same type of discussion. If only our crystal ball would tell us what demand would be like in another 20 years!

Terry

Yeah, An old buddy of mine had an early thirtys Caddy V-16 Roadster back in the day. It was just an old used car with to many spark plugs to change. He drove it for a year or two and when it quit running he and his high school buddies took it apart and scraped it. Kicks himself now.... Dandy Dave!